Cisco Jabber is a desktop video conferencing application that allows individuals at multiple locations to interact 'face-to-face', share documents and/or presentations through simultaneous video and audio transmissions. Unlike Skype, it provides a point-to-point, secure connection between your computer and another system which supports the H.323 protocol.
Cisco Jabber is supported by both Mac and PC. For more information about the Cisco Jabber service from ITS, please visit
Step 1: Download and Install the Cisco Jabber Client
To download and install the Cisco Jabber client:
1) Download the installation file from http://www.its.utoronto.ca/services/87.
2) Once downloaded, you must unzip/extract the file. Instructions on how to unzip (extra) files or folders from a compressed folder can be found at...
For Mac OS:
3) With the files extracted, install the Cisco Jabber Client by:
For Windows: double left-click the JaberVideoSetupx.y.z.exe file (were x.y.z is a version number such as 4.8.8.).
For Mac OS: double click the JabberVideox.y.z.dmg file (where x.y.z is a version number such as 4.8.8.) then drag and drop the app onto the Applications icon.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Step 2: Setup Cisco Jabber Client
After installing the Cisco Jabber Client, you must specify the connection servers. To do this:
1) Open the Cisco Jabber Client. The login window will appear.
2) Click the "settings" icon (wrench / screwdriver) located above the "Sign In" button.
3) Please enter the following values:
Internal Server: (blank)
External Server: vcse.vc.utoronto.ca
SIP Domain: utoronto.ca
4) Click "OK" to close the "Sign-in Settings" window.
5) Logon using the Cisco Jabber credentials provided. For U of T staff members this may be your UTORID.
Step 3: Perform Test Call
It is important to perform a test call with your all external parties. This helps avoid potential technical issues on the day of the call. Test calls should occur as soon as possible, but at a minimum of three business day in advance of the call.
To arrange a test call with SGS, please email