Combined Degree Program (CDP): UTM, Honours Bachelor of Arts, Major in Communication, Culture, Information and Technology / Master of Information allows students to complete both degrees in 5.5 years rather than the 6 years it would take to acquire them independently.
Applicants must select one of the following concentrations when they apply to the MI program: Critical Information Policy Studies; Culture and Technology; Information Systems and Design; Knowledge Management and Information Management; and User Experience Design. For more details on the concentrations, visit
For a general description of CDPs, see
General Regulations section 1.4.3.
Communication, Culture, Information and Technology (Major) Program
Institute of Communication, Culture, Information and Technology
Master of Information Program
Faculty of Information
Applicants must apply to the Honours Bachelor of Arts (HBA) program, the MI program, and the CDP.
Applicants must gain independent admission to both the HBA and MI programs before they may be considered for admission to the CDP.
Qualified students in Year 3 of the HBA program may apply to the MI program; those accepted will receive a conditional offer to start the MI program when the HBA program requirements have been completed.
Minimum Admission Requirements
Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the HBA program, the School of Graduate Studies, and the MI program.
Students must be enrolled full-time in the HBA program and be in good standing in the HBA program with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of no less than 3.7 in Year 2. Students are expected to carry a full course load of 5.0 full-course equivalents (FCEs) each year.
For admission to the MI program, students must:
maintain an A- average (CGPA 3.7) or higher in Year 3 and Year 4 of the HBA program,
complete the HBA program requirements, and
demonstrate HBA degree conferral.
Please see the contact information to find details on each program's admission requirements.
Academic Path to Completion
Every CDP involves a specific combination of approved degree programs. The CDP requirements build on those of the two separate degree programs. Each CDP has a unique pattern of academic activity year by year.
|1 to 4|
- Complete 5.0 full-course equivalents (FCEs) each year towards the HBA degree.
- In Year 4, complete 2.0 FCEs in Information courses, which count towards the HBA program requirements.
- In Years 1 to 3, complete all 5.0 FCEs each year towards the HBA program requirements.
- In Year 3 of the HBA program, receive a conditional offer of admission to the MI program.
- In Years 3 and 4, complete any remaining HBA program requirements, with 2.0 FCEs taken from the MI program counting towards the overall HBA program requirements. Complete the 2.0 FCEs from the MI program as follows: INF 1005H and INF 1006H (0.25 FCE each), and 1.5 FCEs from one of the MI concentrations. For details on the concentrations, see the
Information calendar entry or visit
5 and 6|
- Complete 6.0 FCEs in MI program requirements.
- In Years 5 and 6, complete the remaining 6.0 FCEs required for the selected MI concentration. Please see the
Information calendar entry for full course requirements.