Combined Degree Program (CDP) in Law, Juris Doctor / Master of Social Work combines the Faculty of Law's interdisciplinary teaching environment with its commitment to public interest law. The program is designed for students who wish to practise in the areas in which law and social work interact (for example, child welfare, mental health, social policy, human rights).
The CDP permits completion of both the Juris Doctor (JD) and Master of Social Work (MSW) degrees in four years rather than the five years it would take to acquire them independently.
Students who enter with a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) will be given advanced standing and are exempted from completing Year 1 of the MSW. Therefore, they will complete Years 1, 3, and 4 of the CDP only, completing the CDP in three years.
For a general description of CDPs, see
General Regulations section 1.4.3.
Law, Juris Doctor / Master of Social Work
Juris Doctor Program
Faculty of Law
Master of Social Work Program
Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work
Applicants must apply to both the JD program, the MSW program, and the CDP.
Applicants must gain independent admission to both the JD and MSW programs before they may be considered for admission to the CDP.
Minimum Admission Requirements
Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the JD program, the School of Graduate Studies, and the MSW program.
Students with a BSW from a recognized university may be admitted with advanced standing.
Please see the contact information to find details on each program’s admission requirements..
Academic Path to Completion
Every CDP involves a specific combination of approved degree programs. The CDP requirements build on those of the two separate degree programs. Each CDP has a unique pattern of academic activity year by year.
- Year 1 JD program requirements.
- Complete all Year 1 courses of the JD program at the Faculty of Law.
- Year 1 MSW program requirements.
- Alternatively, students who enter with a BSW (i.e., advanced standing) are exempt from Year 1 MSW requirements and may progress to the requirements of Years 3 and 4.
- Complete 4.0 full-course equivalents (FCEs) from the following Year 1 MSW courses: SWK 4102H, SWK 4103H, SWK 4105H, SWK 4107H, SWK 4510H, SWK 4602H, SWK 4603H, SWK 4605H, SWK 4654H, and SWK 4658H.
- Complete the MSW Year 1 practicum (SWK 4701H).
|3 and 4|
- Complete JD credits and MSW program requirements.
- Complete 32 JD credits including a moot, a perspective course, and an international/comparative/transnational (ICT) perspective course.
- Complete all course requirements for one of the MSW fields chosen from:
- Children and Their Families
- Social Justice and Diversity
- Health and Mental Health
- Social Service Administration
- Complete the Year 2 MSW practicum (SWK 4702Y) in Year 3 of the CDP. Advanced-standing students complete the Year 2 MSW practicum in Year 2 of the CDP.
- Complete 6 JD credits or 1.0 FCE in integrated courses:
- LAW 345Y1 (3 JD credits) plus a directed reading project (3 JD credits) or a directed reading course (3 JD credits)
- integrated law and social work courses (1.0 FCE).