This award was established by Edwin Siu Hung Leong, the Chairman of Tai Hung Fai Enterprise Co. Ltd., a diversified property investment and development company he founded in 1977. Dr. Leong founded the Tai Hung Fai Charitable Foundation in 2005. His generosity is focused on the health and well-being of the aged and underprivileged.
Two prestigious scholarships each at $55,000 will be awarded for 2018-19 to attract outstanding candidates with financial need, to graduate programs at the University of Toronto. Preference will be given to residents of Hong Kong applying to study in the following areas: science, physics, management, math, or computer science. A second competition may be announced in fall 2019 pending availability of funds.
- be an international applicant;
- have applied to a full-time research stream master's or doctoral program at U of T;
- demonstrate financial need by completing the Edwin S.H. Leong Scholarship Financial Need Assessment Form (available from graduate unit);
- begin their program in September of the 2018-2019 academic year;
- have achieved an A- average in each of the last two years of full-time study; and
- be available to participate in an interview as a part of the selection process.
- must register and remain registered as a full-time student (a change in status may result in suspension or termination of payments and/or returning funds already received);
- must maintain an A- average, and be making satisfactory progress toward the completion of their degree as determined by their graduate unit in order to maintain the award;
- may not hold other major awards (greater than $15,000 in value) while holding the Leong Scholarship; and
- who transition to permanent residency status once the award has been granted will continue to be eligible for the balance of their renewable Scholarship. Transitioning does not affect the awardee's eligibility to continue holding the award.
Applications & Deadline
The application process consists of a paper application and an interview for shortlisted candidates.
Applications are accepted only via nominations by the graduate units. Applicants interested in this Scholarship are encouraged to contact their proposed graduate unit when applying for admission to U of T. Application deadlines are set by the individual graduate units.
Contacts & Resources
Please direct all questions about this competition to:
Fong Di Caterina, Manager, Graduate Awards Office
Mandy Fung, Graduate Awards Officer, Federal