Government & University Financial Assistance

i. Canadian Sources

Provincial Student Loan Programs

Students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents may be eligible for financial assistance from their provincial governments. Applications for the Fall session are usually available in late May or early June. It is recommended that you apply for student loans at least 10 weeks prior to the start of the new academic year. Please note that you may only ever hold student loans from one province.

Getting Your Money

After you have submitted your online Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) application and provided the OSAP consent  and declaration signature pages with supporting documentation to Enrolment Services (172 St. George Street), please bring the following items to a designated Canada Post outlet  in order to have your MSFAA forwarded to the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) for processing:

U of T will confirm your registration through an electronic process for eligible students who have completed their MSFAA. You are considered registered as soon as you have paid tuition and incidental fees or have requested to register without payment (i.e., fee deferral). 

Review further information on the complete process of how OSAP funding is released and how to register without payment (i.e. fee deferral) .

Reporting Changes & Updates to Information

If your circumstances or those of your spouse (if applicable) change while you are in school, you must promptly inform Enrolment Services of these changes.

Maintaining the Interest-Free Status on Your Previous Loans

Should you not qualify nor require OSAP, but wish to maintain interest-free status on previous Canada/Ontario Student Loans , you must complete a continuation of interest-free status (schedule 2) form before the end of the study period. Forms are available at the School of Graduate Studies (SGS)' Student Services office at 63 St.George Street. Note: Biotechnology, Information, Management, OISE, and Social Work students may obtain the form at their home graduate unit. 

The information will then be electronically forwarded to your lender and/or the NSLSC. Check with your lender(s) to ensure they have up-to-date information on your current registration.

If you have held student loans from a province other than Ontario, please check the directions on maintaining your interest-free status through the Government of Canada's CanLearn website.

Getting Help

If you have questions about your financial assistance from your provincial government, please contact Enrolment Services and/or the appropriate provincial financial assistance website.  

University of Toronto Advanced Planning for Students (UTAPS)

University of Toronto Advance Planning for Students (UTAPS) is a financial aid program for full-time students who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons (recognized convention refugees) and are eligible for need-based government student assistance or funding from a First Nations band.

U of T will ensure that unmet need is met for students who are assessed by OSAP as requiring maximum assistance and whose assessed need is not fully covered by government aid.

Students receiving funding from another province/territory or a First Nations band are also eligible for consideration and may submit an online UTAPS application.

U of T Work-Study Program

The U of T Work-Study Program provides opportunities for eligible students to be employed part-time on-campus during the Fall and Winter sessions. The program is open to all full-time and part-time students (at least 2.0 credits over the Fall/Winter terms.

See job listings.

ii. Non-Canadian Sources