Information for New Students


Moving Forward as a New Student

Committing to a program in a new city, province, or country can be daunting. This can be especially true in a city as large as Toronto, at a university on the scale of U of T. We offer many ways for you to adjust to your new school and city.

When you begin your studies at U of T, you'll become a vital part of a dynamic academic community. No matter which campus you study on St. George, Scarborough, or Mississauga, you'll find an abundance of academic conferences, student groups, sports, theatre, and music to help you build a supportive network of friends, colleagues, and mentors.

Offer of Admission

The offer of admission from the School of Graduate Studies is your official acceptance letter which outlines important information about your program (e.g., start date, graduate unit, program, and degree). Very often there are conditions on the offer, which must be satisfied before registration is permitted. Below are details on how to clear some of the most common conditions. If a condition in the offer letter is not included in the examples below, and you're unsure how to clear it, please contact your graduate unit. The term "graduate unit" is used to refer to the department, Faculty, school, or institute offering your graduate program.


(1) Completion of your current program with a specific average and confirmation of degree conferred.

This condition has two elements that must be satisfied:

    1. proof that you have obtained the specified average and

    2. proof that you have received your degree.

You must arrange to have a transcript of your final official academic record forwarded to your home graduate unit once you have completed your coursework and received your degree. If your transcript is forwarded before it has been updated to indicate conferral of degree, the second part of the condition will not be cleared. To save time and expense, ensure that your academic transcript includes the confirmation of degree conferred.

If you satisfy your requirements during the summer but will not receive your degree until after your graduate program commences, then you must arrange to have the following two documents forwarded to your graduate unit:

    1. an official transcript of your academic record which indicates final standing, and

    2. an official statement from your registrar which confirms that the degree requirements have been satisfied and indicates the expected date of degree conferral.

(2) Authentication of self-reported grades: This condition requires you to authenticate self-reported grades by providing your graduate unit with official transcript(s) of your academic record, directly from the issuing institution(s) by the specified date.

(3) Certified English translation of academic record or diploma: If your transcript or degree is not in English, you must arrange to have the document translated by an authorized translation service or your embassy or consulate.


Join us for an orientation session in the first week of September or January. You'll learn about programs and services, academic support, and life on campus and in Toronto. There will be panel discussions on the graduate school experience, the Graduate Professional Skills (GPS) program, financial support, plus campus tours.

Your graduate unit may also hold a more detailed session for students in your specific program.

Registration & Enrolment

What is the difference between enrolment and registration? Enrolment refers to signing up in specific courses. Registration refers to your achieving status as a full-time or part-time student upon payment or deferral of tuition and fees. More details.


Fees for the 2016-17 academic year will be posted at In addition to tuition fees, students are required to pay incidental fees. These include campus fees, student society fees and, in some professional programs, a placement fee.

International students must also pay for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).

For students admitted on a part-time basis, the part-time fee is calculated at approximately 30% of the full-time fee. Only students admitted as part-time students may pay part-time fees; not all programs allow part-time registration. For detailed information on fees, please visit the Student Accounts website.

Late registration fees for the Fall session are assessed for any outstanding fees on September 15, 2017. We therefore recommend that you pay your fees at a Canadian bank or financial institution by August 25, 2017 to allow for processing time.

(1) Yearly fees cover the Fall and Winter sessions and normally cover the Summer session also (see below). Incidental fees are included unless otherwise indicated.

(2) Domestic fees apply to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, status refugees, and exempt international students (see below).

(3) International fees apply to non-exempt international students. They include the UHIP premium. They include the UHIP premium, which is mandatory to ensure that international students have health insurance coverage.

Fall & Winter Sessions

Fees for both the Fall and Winter sessions are payable upon registration. You should pay your fees at a Canadian bank or financial institution by August 25, 2017 to avoid late registration fees. Students who are allowed to register for one session only will be charged the one-session fee (half the yearly academic fee plus incidental fees).

Summer Session & Early Registration

Fees are not charged for the Summer session except in the following two cases:

(1) part-time students who registered in only one of the preceding Fall or Winter sessions;

(2) students who commenced a program by taking formal courses in the Summer session.

If you're accepted to begin your program in September, you may commence in the preceding Summer session with the approval of your department. Students approved for early registration and engaged only in research do not pay summer academic fees. Students enrolled in summer courses pay summer academic and incidental fees.

International Student Fee Exemption

In accordance with the recommendations of the Ontario government, certain categories of international students are exempt from paying higher international fees. Instead they pay academic fees equivalent to those for Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and status refugees. Students may qualify for fee exemptions in a number of ways, which are related to their sponsorship and source of financial support. Detailed descriptions of fee exemptions are available on the Student Accounts website.

Resources for International Students

If you've just arrived in Canada, make your first stop at U of T the Centre for International Experience (CIE). Staff and student volunteers can help you find temporary and permanent housing, introduce you to fellow students, get you oriented, and more. They'll even store your luggage temporarily.

The CIE also offers a number of orientation activities that run from mid-August to mid-September. These include information seminars, workshops, field trips, and cultural events.


Housing Services provides student-friendly listings of off-campus accommodations advertised by landlords and by students seeking roommates. It also serves as a year-round current source of housing information:

Student Housing Service, University of Toronto
Koffler Student Services Centre, Room 203
214 College Street, Toronto, ON M5T 2Z9


Find out more about U of T and independent residences that accommodate graduate students. If you'e interested in staying at a U of T residence, you should confirm your interest and rank your residences of choice on MyRes as soon as possible.

Graduate House

Graduate House is an award-winning residence offering apartment-style suite accommodations for 436 full-time graduate and second-entry professional faculty students.

Graduate House
60 Harbord Street, Toronto, ON, M5S 3L1
Phone: 416-946-8888
Fax: 416-946-8887

Massey College

Massey College is an independent residence community of senior academic scholars and full-time graduate students, operating under its own policies and guidelines.

Massey College
4 Devonshire Place, Toronto, ON M5S 2E1
Phone: 416-978-2895​

Student Family Housing

Student Family Housing is reserved for U of T full-time degree students with a partner and/or children. 

Once you have decided to attend U of T, please visit our website at to complete an online application. Note that you do not have to be a student to apply; however, you must be registered to accept an apartment offer. 

For full information please visit our website or contact us directly at 416-978-8049 for a possible immediate vacancy.

Student Family Housing
35 Charles Sreet West #101, Toronto, ON M4Y 1R6
Phone: 416-978-8049​

Off-Campus Housing

Housing Services' Housing and Roommate Finder service provides students with listings of rooms and apartments for rent, as well as fellow U of T students who are looking for roommates. The service also provides resources such as a five-step video series to help demystify the housing search process. If you're coming from outside Toronto, you can find temporary housing while searching for more permanent accommodation. Housing Services can provide a list of temporary accommodation, most of which is located within 45 minutes from the St. George campus by public transportation.

Landlords usually advertise units about four to six weeks ahead of the date of availability. Since private accommodation is not inspected by U of T, quality cannot be guaranteed. Therefore, you should meet potential landlords and inspect the premises before you enter into any agreement.

Student TCard, UTORid, UTmail+

The U of T TCard is an access card for services on campus. Email service, wireless network, and access to the Learning Portal will be available upon receipt of your TCard and authentication of your UTORid. You can obtain your TCard from the following locations:

St. George campus: Koffler Student Services Centre
Ground floor, 214 College St. Details.

Mississauga campus: CCT Atrium - Lower Level, Room CC 0160A

Scarborough campus: University of Toronto Scarborough Library
1265 Military Trail

Proof of citizenship, identification and your offer of admission letter or student number are required in order to receive a TCard. For detailed information about the documentation required to obtain a TCard, visit

Your email account at U of T is associated with your UTORid. It is important to activate your UTORid to receive communications from U of T, SGS, and the Graduate Awards Office.

See also: UTmail+, an email and calendaring service for students and alumni.

Financial Counselling

Our financial counsellor is trained to assist students in all aspects of financial management including planning a budget and debt load management. Financial counselling sessions are confidential.

Counselling is available in person, via email, or telephone from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Please contact the Graduate Awards Office to schedule an appointment with the financial counsellor.

63 St. George Street