(1) Graduate students may only enrol in undergraduate courses with the approval of their supervisor or graduate unit. Students are responsible for meeting the deadlines and requirements of the undergraduate course as presented in class and in the undergraduate division’s calendar. Graduate students will be graded under the graduate grading scale. Students should consult the appropriate undergraduate calendar for enrolment and dates.
(2) The precise dates of commencement of courses are determined by the graduate units; students are urged to contact the relevant graduate units for information. SGS maintains the 13-week graduate instruction period; however, if a course does not fall into the traditional 13-week period, the graduate unit will inform students of important dates and deadlines in the course syllabus. University policy states that the first day of classes in the fall session in all teaching divisions should not be scheduled on the first and second days of Rosh Hashanah (from 1 1/2 hours before sunset on Wednesday, September 24, 2014 to about 1 1/2 hours after sunset on Friday, September 26, 2014) or on Yom Kippur (from about 1 1/2 hours before sunset on Friday, October 3, 2014 to about 1 1/2 hours after sunset on Saturday, October 4, 2014).
(3) A final thesis is the corrected, approved version of thesis which is submitted to SGS following the Final Oral Examination.
(4) Graduate units may establish earlier deadlines for completion of course work and may prescribe penalties for late completion of work and for failure to complete work, provided that these penalties are announced at the time the instructor makes known to the class the methods by which student performance shall be evaluated.
(5) For final dates for completing degree requirements, students should consult their own graduate unit.
(6) These are the dates which have been established for undergraduate students in the Faculty of Arts and Science. Not all Faculties offer Reading Week or a November Pause. To find out if your Faculty offers a Reading Week or November Pause, please contact them directly. SGS does not have a Reading Week or November Pause.
(7) Graduate units may establish earlier deadlines to add/drop courses but these dates must clearly be communicated to students. Please note that the last date to cancel a course or registration with no academic penalty is not the same as the last date to be eligible for a refund.
(8) Students starting their program in the summer and OISE students are required to register by this date by paying the minimum tuition amount stated in their invoice.
(9) Invoices will be available on SWS (ROSI) by July 14. Most graduate students may make payments, or be eligible to register without payment (i.e., defer their fees), beginning July 14.