Up to $5,000
Number of Awards Available
One to two recipients annually
At the time of application, an applicant must:
- Demonstrate leadership related to, or made a significant contribution to, graduate student life
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person, under subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada)
Be a resident of Ontario,
as defined by OSOTF requirements
- Be registered full-time in any doctoral
(e.g. PhD) or doctoral-stream (i.e. research-stream master's) program
- Demonstrate financial need through completing the SGS Financial Need Assessment form
- Demonstrate academic merit - have achieved at least A- (or equivalent) in each of the last two completed years of study (full-time equivalent); or if the student has competed two years of graduate studies at the time of application, the student must only demonstrate an overall average of at least A- (or equivalent) on all graduate courses completed
Note: Recipients must maintain full-time registration throughout the academic year immediately following the current competition.
Application & Nomination Procedure
Each applicant must ensure that a complete application package (including their referee's letter) is provided to their graduate unit by the unit's specified deadline.
A completed application will include all of the following items (no other supporting documentation will be accepted):
Completed and signed University-Wide Awards application form;
- Original or certified copies of official transcripts from all universities attended in the last two years of full-time studies or if the student has competed two years of graduate studies at the time of application, the student must include transcripts for all graduate studies;
ACORN print-outs are sufficient for the U of T transcript
Certification/validation may be performed by the graduate unit. If the graduate unit is not able to certify/validate a transcript, it is each applicant's responsibility to obtain and provide within their application package an original official transcript that was issued by the appropriate institution
Grading legends must be provided with every transcript. Copies of unofficial transcripts from other institutions will not be accepted. Transcripts should not be separately mailed to the Graduate Awards Office
One copy of resumé / CV;
Statement detailing applicant's demonstrated leadership and contributions to graduate student life at the University of Toronto;
One letter of reference addressing the applicant's academic merit from an academic supervisor/advisor or a faculty member familiar with the applicant's academic work (one page maximum); letter must clearly state the referee's name and contact information; and
If applying for an award that requires the demonstration of financial need, a completed and signed SGS Financial Need Assessment form must be included.
Note: As per the external selection committee's schedule, recipient(s) of this award will be selected and notified in November.
Each applicant may contact their graduate unit to determine the specified deadline for this competition as well as to which email address all of their application materials must be submitted.
< back to University-Wide Awards