International & Exchange Students

Looking for additional information about supports and services for international graduate students at U of T? 

Visit the SGS International Portal.


Graduates of recognized academic institutions outside Canada should hold an appropriate bachelor's degree or its equivalent as assessed by the University of Toronto. Use the International Degree Equivalencies Tool to see which international credentials are required for master's and doctoral admissions at U of T.

For more details on admission requirements including English language requirements, read the English proficiency requirements. Visit the Centre for International Experience website for information on obtaining student visas and health insurance (UHIP).

If you wish to attend the University of Toronto as a visiting graduate research student, refer to the International Visiting Graduate Students Study Abroad Agreement.

If you wish to attend the University of Toronto as an exchange student from one of our partner schools, contact the Centre for International Experience.

Immigration Regulations

A prospective student who is neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident must obtain a study permit from a Canadian embassy, consulate, or high commission outside Canada. Students from many countries will also need to obtain an entry visa, for which they would apply at the same time. See the list of countries to find out if you need a entry visa to enter Canada. It is not possible to change from visitor to student status within Canada. The SGS offer of admission letter will be required to obtain a study permit and to present to the Canadian immigration authorities upon arrival in Canada. For more information, visit the Citizen and Immigration Canada website. Find out how to avoid delays in study permit processing.

Centre for International Experience

The Centre for International Experience (CIE) on the St. George campus is a wonderful resource for international students. CIE and SGS offer the assistance of an international transition advisor who supports students adjusting to life in Canada. You can seek advice about CIC documentation and processes, including study and work permits. The CIE also administers the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). The CIE is open to all students and hosts a myriad of events.

International Students Fee Exemption

In accordance with the recommendations of the Ontario government, certain categories of international students are exempt from paying higher international fees. Instead they pay fees equivalent to those for Canadian citizens and permanent residents (landed immigrants). Students may qualify for fee exemptions in a number of ways, related to their sponsorship and source of financial support. Detailed descriptions of fee exemptions are available on the Student Accounts website.

School Fee Exemption for Children

An international student bringing children to Toronto may have to pay a substantial fee to enrol their children in a local school. The Family Care Office can help to determine students' eligibility for exemption from this fee. Contact:

Medical Insurance

Most international students are not eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. As a result, the Council of Ontario universities has negotiated an insurance plan designed to cover international students. The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is compulsory for all international students studying at an Ontario university. See the UHIP Premium Table for current coverage rates.

Unlike students, dependents are not automatically enrolled in UHIP. Students must arrange for dependent coverage directly with the UHIP office. Dependents must enrol in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival date in Canada, or a late fee ($500) will be applied. Students can obtain detailed information about UHIP from the Centre for International Experience. Contact:

International Visiting Graduate Student (IVGS) Study Abroad Agreement

For international graduate students seeking to conduct research at U of T for up to three sessions, the International Visiting Graduate Student (IVGS) Study Abroad Agreement facilitates visits by international graduate students who do not fall under an approved exchange program to participate in short-term research activities at U of T.

Incoming Exchange Students

If you are from one of U of T's partner institutions and are interested in studying at U of T as an exchange student, visit the Centre for International Experience website for information about coming to U of T as an incoming exchange student.

Joint Educational Placement Students

A Joint Educational Placement (JEP) is an opportunity for individual students to pursue their doctoral degree program under the joint supervision of faculty from U of T and a collaborating Canadian or international university.

It requires two main ingredients: (1) an existing or emerging collaboration between a supervisor at the University of Toronto and a faculty member at another institution and (2) a full-time doctoral student whose research interests are shared with the two supervisors. 

If successful, the student will be awarded a single doctoral degree from the lead institution. The University of Toronto will issue a parchment and transcript indicating that the degree has been "awarded as a single degree under a Joint Placement arrangement with (the other institution)." This other institution may also issue a parchment.

Learn More about the JEP