SGS Master’s Completion Bursary (MCB)
- Award Category: Completion Awards, Financial Assistance, In-Course Awards
- Student Deadline : Winter 2020 Application: May 22, 2020 (extended deadline)
- Application Dates : Fall / Winter
- Value & Duration : Bursary payment serves to reduce full-time master’s fees to part-time fees for the final session of registration beyond program length
- Level of Study : Master’s
- Required Legal Status : Domestic / International
- Results : June 2020 (Winter applicants)
The Master’s Completion Bursary (MCB) is a financial aid program which serves to assist master’s students who must register beyond the program length required for their degree due to unanticipated factors beyond their control. The Bursary aims to assist students who must register full–time in the final session of their program to complete a small or minimal amount of remaining work that is necessary to fulfill their degree requirements.
At the time of application, the student:
- had experienced unanticipated factors or circumstances beyond their control causing a delay in their program;
- is beyond the program length required for their degree;
- is still within the time limit for their degree;
- received little or no other funding towards tuition charged in their final session of registration; and
- is registered full-time with full-time fees being charged in the final session of their program to complete a minimal amount work; minimal work includes the following:
- Thesis Based Programs: Defense or submission of a student’s final thesis or Major Research Paper/Project (MRP). The thesis is defended and submitted to the ProQuest digital library repository, or MRP submitted to the department.
- Course-Based Programs: Completion of a 0.5 or 1.0 course, project, paper or language exam.
OISE Students should seek bursary assistance through the Office of the Registrar and Student Services (ORSS). Upon recommendation by the OISE Financial Aid and Awards Coordinator, OISE students may be considered for the Master’s Completion Bursary.
- Complete sections 1, 2, and 4 of the MCB application form.
- Have sections 3 and 5 completed by the supervisor and graduate unit.
- Compile any necessary letters or documents (such as a VOI, medical note, and letter of support from the graduate unit); and
- Submit the completed application with all supporting documentation to SGS Financial Aid and Advising via email to sgs.financial.assi firstname.lastname@example.org by the appropriate MCB application deadline.
MCB results are communicated via the student’s U of T email address.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When can I apply?
You can only apply once you have completed all your degree requirements, in either the Fall or Winter session. The bursary is not available if you complete your degree requirements during the Summer session.
You should submit an application if you meet all the eligibility requirements.
I finished in the Fall session; when should I apply?
You should submit your completed MCB application within two weeks of your completion date but no later than January 31, 2020.
I finished in the Winter session; when should I apply?
You should submit your completed MCB application within two weeks of your completion date but no later than May 22, 2020.
What is the date of completion?
Date of completion is the date on which all your degree requirements were completed. For a thesis-based program, this is the date on which you submitted your final thesis to the ProQuest digital library repository. For a course-based program, this is the date on which you wrote your final exam/handed in your final paper/project.
How do I find out the required program length of my degree?
Program length is listed in the program requirements section of each degree program in the SGS Calendar.
How do I know if I am within the time limit of my degree?
Program time limit is listed in the program requirements section of each degree program in the SGS Calendar.
What is the amount of the Master’s Completion Bursary?
The value of the bursary is specific to the fees for your particular program.
The bursary may equal to the difference between the total one-session full-time fees and the total one-session part-time fees.
Students are responsible for other charges and/or service charges that accrue on their outstanding balance.
See a complete list of fees.
How will I know if I’ve been approved?
Students will be notified of the results of their application via their U of T email account within the month following the submission deadline.
How will I receive payment?
If approved, the bursary is paid through your ACORN student account within the month following the submission deadline.
Payment is first applied to any outstanding balance; any remaining funds will be refunded to students.
Contacts & Resources
For inquiries regarding the nomination/application process, please contact: email@example.com