SGS Master’s Completion Bursary (MCB)
- Award Category: Completion Awards, Financial Assistance, In-Course Awards
- Student Deadline : FALL 2019 Application: January 31, 2020; WINTER 2020 Application: April 30, 2020; *Please see below for other important dates
- Application Dates : Fall / Winter
- Value & Duration : Bursary payment serves to reduce full-time master’s fees to part-time fees for the final session of registration beyond program length
- Level of Study : Master’s
- Required Legal Status : Domestic / International
- Results : End of February 2020 (Fall applicants) or End of May 2020 (Winter applicants)
The SGS Master’s Completion Bursary (MCB) for students beyond program length, is a financial aid program aimed to assist master’s students who must register beyond the program length required for their degree, in order to complete a minimal amount of work remaining due to unanticipated factors beyond their control.
Students are eligible for the MCB if:
- They were unable to complete their master’s degree by the program length due to factors that were unanticipated and beyond their control. Please note that there is no MCB program for students who complete over the Summer session.
- Their remaining academic requirements during the final session are minimal and will be completed by the required deadline. Minimal work includes the following:
- Thesis Based Programs: A student’s final thesis (this must be defended and submitted to the ProQuest digital library repository OR Major Research Paper/Project (MRP) submitted to the department on or before November 7, 2019 (Fall applicants) or March 4, 2020 (winter applicants);
- Course-Based Programs: The student can be enrolled in a 0.5 course, project, paper or language exam (this must be completed within the final registered session).
- They are beyond the program length required for their degree, and the program length must have ended:
- on or before August 31 (Fall applicants); or
- on or before December 31 (Winter applicants)
- They are still within the time limit for their degree;
- They have maintained full-time registration since the beginning of their program (i.e. no part-time registration, leaves of absence, stop-outs, program transfers, or dual registrations);
- They did not receive or received minimal funding for the additional session; and
- They need to be registered full-time in their final session before graduation.
Students transferring from a doctoral to a master’s program are encouraged to consult with the SGS Coordinator, Student Support and Financial Aid regarding eligibility.
OISE Students must apply for bursary assistance from the OISE Student Services first and upon recommendation by the OISE Financial Aid Coordinator, may be considered for the SGS Master’s Completion Bursary.
- Complete sections 1, 2, and 4 of the MCB application form.
- Have sections 3 and 5 completed by the supervisor and graduate unit.
- Compile any necessary letters or documents (such as a VOI, medical note, and letter of support from the graduate unit); and
- Submit the completed application with all supporting documentation to SGS Financial Aid and Advising via email to sgs.financial.assi firstname.lastname@example.org by the appropriate MCB application deadline.
Applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis using the following criteria:
- Were the factors preventing the student from completing the program within the usual program length unanticipated and beyond their control? (See application form instructions for examples)
- Was the amount of outstanding work required considered to be minimal?
- Were all degree requirements completed, and recorded on ROSI, prior to the relevant SGS deadlines?
- Was funding provided to the applicant during the final session of registration (e.g. fellowships, scholarships, OSAP, TA/RA-ships)?
- Was the student continuously registered full-time from the beginning of their program (i.e. no part-time registration, stop outs, leave of absence, or periods of dual registration)?
- Has the applicant met all other eligibility requirements as indicated above?
MCB results are communicated via the student’s U of T email address.
All decisions are made by the SGS Financial Aid Committee and are not eligible for appeal.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When can I apply?
You can only apply once you have completed all your degree requirements, in either the Fall or Winter session. The bursary is not available if you complete your degree requirements during the Summer session.
You should submit an application if you meet all the eligibility requirements.
I finished in the Fall session; when should I apply?
You should submit your completed MCB application within two weeks of your completion date but no later than January 31, 2020.
I finished in the Winter session; when should I apply?
You should submit your completed MCB application within two weeks of your completion date but no later than April 30, 2020.
What is the date of completion?
Date of completion is the date on which all your degree requirements were completed. For a thesis-based program, this is the date on which you submitted your final thesis to the ProQuest digital library repository. For a course-based program, this is the date on which you wrote your final exam/handed in your final paper/project.
How do I find out the required program length of my degree?
Program length is listed in the program requirements section of each degree program in the SGS Calendar.
How do I know if I am within the time limit of my degree?
Program time limit is listed in the program requirements section of each degree program in the SGS Calendar.
What is the amount of the Master’s Completion Bursary?
The value of the bursary is specific to the fees for your particular program.
The bursary may equal to the difference between the total one-session full-time fees and the total one-session part-time fees.
Students are responsible for other charges and/or service charges that accrue on their outstanding balance.
See a complete list of fees.
How will I know if I’ve been approved?
Students will be notified of the results of their application via their U of T email account within the month following the submission deadline.
How will I receive payment?
If approved, the bursary is paid through your ACORN student account within the month following the submission deadline.
Payment is first applied to any outstanding balance; any remaining funds will be refunded to students.
Contacts & Resources
For inquiries regarding the nomination/application process, please contact: email@example.com