University-Wide Award: UTFA Al Miller Memorial Award (OSOTF)
- Award Category: Doctoral Awards, In-Course Awards, Master's Awards, University-Wide Awards
- Student Deadline : Date set by graduate unit
- Application Dates : Winter
- Value & Duration : Up to $5,000: one or two recipients annually
- Level of Study : Doctoral, Master’s
- Required Legal Status : Domestic
At the time of application, an applicant must:
- Demonstrate leadership related to, or made a significant contribution to, graduate student life
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person, under subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada)
- Be a resident of Ontario, as defined by OSOTF requirements (see Need Based/OSOTF Awards section of University-Wide Awards web page)
- Be registered full-time in any doctoral (e.g. PhD) or doctoral-stream (i.e. research-stream master’s) program
- Demonstrate financial need through completing the SGS Financial Need Assessment form
- Demonstrate academic merit – have achieved at least A- (or equivalent) in each of the last two completed years of study (full-time equivalent); or if the student has competed two years of graduate studies at the time of application, the student must only demonstrate an overall average of at least A- (or equivalent) on all graduate courses completed
The UTFA Al Miller Memorial Award (OSOTF) is one of the endowed awards within the SGS University-Wide Awards competition. Review the full Application Process on the University Wide Awards web page.
Each applicant must ensure that a complete application package (including their referee’s letter) is provided to their graduate unit by the unit’s specified deadline.
A completed application will include all of the following items (no other supporting documentation will be accepted):
- Completed and signed University-Wide Awards application form;
- Original or certified copies of official transcripts from all universities attended in the last two years of full-time studies or if the student has competed two years of graduate studies at the time of application, the student must include transcripts for all graduate studies;
- ACORN print-outs are sufficient for the U of T transcript
- Certification/validation may be performed by the graduate unit. If the graduate unit is not able to certify/validate a transcript, it is each applicant’s responsibility to obtain and provide within their application package an original official transcript that was issued by the appropriate institution
- Grading legends must be provided with every transcript. Copies of unofficial transcripts from other institutions will not be accepted. Transcripts should not be separately mailed to the Graduate Awards Office
- One copy of resumé / CV;
- Statement detailing applicant’s demonstrated leadership and contributions to graduate student life at the University of Toronto;
- One letter of reference addressing the applicant’s academic merit from an academic supervisor/advisor or a faculty member familiar with the applicant’s academic work (one page maximum); letter must clearly state the referee’s name and contact information; and
- If applying for an award that requires the demonstration of financial need, a completed and signed SGS Financial Need Assessment form must be included.
Note: As per the external selection committee’s schedule, recipient(s) of this award will be selected and notified in November.
Donor: The University of Toronto Faculty Association (UTFA)