UTSC Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- Award Category: Postdoctoral Awards
- Student Deadline : November 1, 2019
- Application Dates : Fall
- Value & Duration : $45,000 (plus benefits) for up to 2 years
- Required Legal Status : Domestic / International
- Results : Mid-February
The University of Toronto Scarborough (U of T Scarborough) Postdoctoral Fellowships are designed to provide outstanding recent doctoral students advanced training in their field of study. These fellowships are not discipline-specific, but rather can be held in any department or research unit across U of T Scarborough (http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/home/academic-departments-and-programs). Applicants must secure sponsorship of a supervisor (or supervisors) from the professoriate at U of T Scarborough.
1. Applicants must have recently (normally within two years) been awarded a PhD or equivalent degree. Any special circumstances including sick or parental leaves will be taken into consideration.
2. Applicants cannot currently hold a tenure-track or continuing faculty position at a college or university.
3. Applicants can be citizens of any country, and from any university. Successful international candidates must meet all Canadian immigration requirements.
4. Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents must have completed all of the requirements for their doctoral degree no later than six months after their start-date of the Fellowship. International applicants must have completed all of the requirements for their doctoral degree before the start date of the Fellowship.
NB: Completion does not mean convocation, but rather the completion of all the requirements necessary to receive their doctorate.
5. The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Applicants will be assessed based upon the following criteria:
1. Excellence of the applicant:
i. Experience of the applicant relative to career stage and discipline
ii. Quality, quantity and significance of past research activity and published output relative to career stage
iii. The ability of the fellowship to advance the applicant’s career development
2. Quality of the proposed research project:
i. Significance and expected contributions to research
ii. Appropriateness and feasibility of the approach
iii. Suitability/sufficiency of the research environment and available resources at UTSC
3. Two Selection Committees – one to assess applications from physical and life sciences disciplines and the other to assess applications from social sciences and humanities disciplines – composed of U of T Scarborough Research Advisory Board (RAB) members will meet to evaluate and recommend top candidates.
1. The application deadline is November 1 (should that date fall on a weekend or public holiday, the submission deadline will be the next business day), with start dates for the postdoctoral fellows no earlier than March 1, and no later than November 1, of the year following application. Incomplete applications or late submissions will not be considered.
i. Decisions will be made in mid-February, and successful applications will have two weeks from the time the decisions are announced to accept or decline the fellowship.
2. Applicants must submit their CV and a completed U of T Scarborough Postdoctoral Fellowship application form (http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/research/internal-funding-programs) in a single PDF document to the Office of the Vice-Principal Research (email@example.com). Any questions regarding the Postdoctoral Fellowship program should be directed to Michael Manley by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
i. The form includes a one-page proposal in which the applicant should describe their proposed research project in clear, non-specialist language suitable for an interdisciplinary audience, highlighting the importance and impact of the research and how it fits into their academic/professional goals. Reference lists or bibliographies are not necessary for the proposal.
3. Applicants must arrange for their proposed supervisor(s) to send their completed U of T Scarborough Postdoctoral Supervisor form to the Office of the Vice-Principal Research (email@example.com).
i. Proposed supervisor(s) must have a tenure-track or tenured (primary) appointment at U of T Scarborough.
NB: Only applications that have the U of T Scarborough Postdoctoral Supervisor form submitted by the deadline will be considered.
1. Supervisor(s) must have a tenure-track or tenured (primary) appointment at U of T Scarborough.
2. The primary research site for the Postdoctoral Fellows is on the UTSC campus.
3. Supervisors must submit by November 1 (should that date fall on a weekend or public holiday, the submission deadline will be the next business day), a completed U of T Scarborough Postdoctoral Supervisor form (http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/research/internal-funding-programs) to the Office of the Vice-Principal Research (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include name of Postdoctoral fellow on the subject line of the email. Any questions regarding the Postdoctoral Fellowship program should be directed to Michael Manley by email (email@example.com).
i. Prior to its submission, the form must be signed by the Chair or Director of the supervisor’s unit. Co-supervision requires signatures of the Chairs and/or Directors from the units of all supervisors.
4. In the space provided on the form, the proposed supervisor(s) are expected to comment, in clear, non-specialist language suitable for an interdisciplinary audience, on the applicant’s research potential, the quality of the proposed research, the research environment and resources that will be available to the applicant, and how the fellowship will advance the applicant’s career development.
1. Please consult the information regarding postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Toronto on the website of the School of Graduate Studies (http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/postdoctoralfellows/Pages/Prospective-Postdocs.aspx).
2. Employment as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Toronto is governed by the terms of the CUPE Unit 5 Collective Agreement (http://agreements.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/#CUPE3902_Unit5). As such, the U of T Scarborough Postdoctoral Fellowships are posted in accordance with the CUPE Unit 5 Collective Agreement.
Contacts & Resources
More information can be found on the UTSC Website
Any questions regarding the Postdoctoral Fellowship program should be directed to Michael Manley by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).