- This event has passed.
Webinar: Study Permits and Other Immigration Related Questions
July 20 @ 9:30 am – 11:00 am EDT
Students can join one of the following times for our immigration webinar, where representatives from the Centre for International Experience and the School of Graduate Studies Office of Student Academic Services will discuss immigration issues relevant to incoming international graduate students.
Wednesday, July 15 (9:30-11:00 am EST)
Monday, July 20 (9:30-11:00 am EST)
How to Participate
Student will need to click here to join the webinar.
The University recommends that international students apply for their study permit as soon as they get their acceptance letter (and prepare the other required documents). The goal of this webinar is to help international graduate students with the application process and answer their immigration-related questions. The webinar will cover the following topics:
- The options for applying for a study permit.
- The required documents for a study permit application.
- Creating an online account at the website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Completing the online Eligibility Questionnaire.
- Completing and validating the required forms.
- Uploading the required documents to the online application system.
- Applying for family members (spouse/partner and/or children) to accompany you.
- Making an online payment and submitting your application.
- Advice to improve the chances of a successful study permit application.
- Communicating with the Canadian visa office/consulate in your country.
- Replying to immigration officers’ requests.
- What to do if your application is refused.
- Starting your program remotely.
- Deferring your program’s start date.
- Next steps.
After the main portion of the webinar is over, SGS staff will remain online to answer non-immigration questions.
Should you have any questions, please contact Hasmik.