- This event has passed.
Writing and Publishing a Research Article (UTSC)
November 20 @ 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm EST
Mary Silcox, Vice-Dean Graduate and Professor, Anthropology
This workshop, offered at the Scarborough campus, enables graduate students to become better prepared for each stage of the academic publication process. The session will focus on the following major topics:
– choosing your platform: selecting the journal or other platform according to impact and readership, open access or subscription publishing, and article or book chapter;
– preparing your manuscript: effectively targeting your audience, pre-emptively addressing likely reviewer comments;
– navigating working with coauthors : determining authorship, making the most of collaborative relationships;
– understanding the process of peer review and responding effectively to editors’/reviewers’ comments;
– understanding ethical issues related to publishing (e.g., dual publication, responsible conduct).
The workshop blends presentations and brief videos on these key aspects of writing and publishing a research article. In addition, participants will be able to ask questions about their own writing projects and will have further opportunity to receive feedback on one of their drafts.