Graduate Student Mental Health
In recent years there has been a growing acknowledgement and understanding of the fundamental role mental health plays in fostering academic success and in shaping student experience throughout graduate education. SGS is committed to integrating considerations of mental health into all aspects of our work and into graduate education more generally.
Graduate Student Mental Health Working Group
In the Spring of 2020, the SGS Mental Health Working Group was formed to complement the work of the Presidential and Provostial Task Force on Student Mental Health in recognition of the importance of considering the specific, and sometimes unique needs of graduate students.
The SGS Mental Health Working Group developed recommendations with consideration of the diverse graduate student population and the unique nature of graduate education. The recommendations were grounded in the understanding that the graduate community can:
- Do more to proactively acknowledge, address, and respond to mental health challenges;•better understand the range of needs and identify gaps;
- Improve mental health awareness by promote existing resources and supports;
- Design student-focused tools and approaches that are appropriate, inclusive and responsive.
SGS Mental Health Advisory Committee (MHAC)
In order to ensure the timely implementation of the Working Group’s recommendations and ongoing accountability in this area, SGS is establishing a new SGS Mental Health Advisory Committee (MHAC). The remit of the Advisory Committee will be to provide advice and guidance on the implementation of the SGS Mental Health Working Group Recommendations.
Related Documents & Resources
- Dean’s Response to the Mental Health Working Group’s Final Report (October 2020)
- Mental Health Working Group Final Report (June 2020)
- Student Mental Health Resource
- Track the status and implementation of the recommendations arising from the Presidential and Provostial Task Force on Student Mental Health
- Administrative Response to the Final Report of the Presidential and Provostial Task Force on Student Mental Health (January 2020)
- Final Report of the Presidential & Provostial Task Force on Student Mental Health (December 2019)