Arts & Science Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- Award Category: Postdoctoral Awards
- Student Deadline : December 1
- Application Dates : Fall
- Value & Duration : $48,000/year for up to two years
- Required Legal Status : Domestic / International
- Results : Mid-March
Value & Duration
Each award will provide $48,000 per year for a maximum of two years. There are two types of funding for the fellowships. One is fully-funded, where A&S contributes the full stipend of $48,000 and benefits. The other is match-funded, where supervisors and/or units contribute half the stipend ($24,000) and benefits, the second half of which is matched by A&S. A section of the Supervisor Postdoctoral Fellowship Form requires the supervisor to specify which funding type applies to their application.
The Arts & Science Postdoctoral Fellowships provides outstanding recent doctoral students advanced training in their field of study. These fellowships are not discipline specific, but rather can be held in any department or research unit across the Faculty of Arts & Science at the University of Toronto. Applicants must secure sponsorship of a full-time supervisor, or supervisors, from the professoriate within the Faculty of Arts & Science (St. George Campus).
The award is open to both domestic and international doctoral student graduates. Successful international candidates
must meet all Canadian immigration requirements.
Fellowships are only tenable within A&S at the University of Toronto. Proposed supervisor(s) must have a tenure-track or
tenured appointment in A&S (i.e., fully appointed at the St. George campus).
- Demonstrate academic excellence and high potential for success in their chosen fields;
- Have completed all requirements for their doctorate degree no earlier than May 1, 2020;
- Not hold a faculty position or be on leave from such a position;
- Not hold concurrently another major fellowship;
- Begin the fellowship between May 1 and December 1 in the year of award;
- Be associated with a supervisor appointed to the Faculty of A&S, St. George campus.
Applications should be submitted to the A&S Research Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email subject line (for both applicant and supervisor): APPLICANT NAME: A&S PDF APPLICATION
Postdoctoral Applicant Components (please submit as one PDF file):
- A&S Postdoctoral Fellowship Application Form
Note: The form includes a one-page research proposal where you should describe your proposed research project,
highlighting the importance and impact of the research and how this research fits into your academic goals.
Reference lists or bibliographies are not necessary for the proposal.
- Applicant’s CV
Supervisor Application Components:
- A&S Postdoctoral Fellowship Supervisors Form (submitted by the supervisor)
- This form must be signed by the Chair or Director of the supervisor’s unit before being submitted. Cosupervision requires signatures of the Chairs and/or Directors from the units of all supervisors.
- In the space provided please comment on the applicant’s research potential, the quality of the proposed
research, the research environment and resources that will be
- Please consult the information regarding postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Toronto on the website of the
School of Graduate Studies.
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents must have completed their PhD requirements no later than six months
after their start-date of an A&S Postdoctoral Fellowship. International applicants must have completed their PhD
requirements before the start date of an A&S Postdoctoral Fellowship. In each instance, proof of PhD completion
must be provided within three months of completion if the applicant did not have it in hand at the time of application.
Degree completion does not mean convocation, but rather the completion of all the requirements necessary for the
- A&S Postdoctoral Fellows may not concurrently hold another post-doctoral fellowship. Canadian citizens and
permanent resident applicants, however, are strongly encouraged to apply for the appropriate CIHR, NSERC, or
SSHRC postdoctoral fellowships in addition to their Arts & Science Postdoctoral Fellowship. To provide further
incentive to apply to such funding agencies, if an applicant is awarded both an A&S Fellowship and a
CIHR/NSERC/SSHRC Fellowship, A&S will provide an additional $8,000 stipend to the CIHR/NSERC/SSHRC
stipend for each year of the fellowship.
- Employment as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Toronto is covered by the terms of the CUPE Unit 5
Collective Agreement. The normal hours of work are 40 hours per week for a full-time postdoctoral fellow (pro-rated
for those holding a partial appointment) recognizing that the needs of the employee’s research and training and the
needs of the supervisor’s research program may require flexibility in the performance of the employee’s duties and
hours of work.
- The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes
applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, members
of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Contacts & Resources
More information can be found on the Faculty of Arts and Science Website
For competition questions please contact: email@example.com