SGS Master’s Completion Bursary (MCB)
- Award Category: Completion Awards, Financial Assistance, In-Course Awards
- Student Deadline : Fall 2023 Application: January 15, 2024; Winter 2024 Application: April 30, 2024
- Application Dates : Fall / Winter
- Value & Duration : Bursary value is equal to the difference between part-time and full-time tuition for SGS doctoral-stream masters programs charged in the final session of registration.
- Level of Study : Master’s
- Required Legal Status : Domestic / International
- Results : Fall 2023: February 2024; Winter 2024: May 2024
The Master’s Completion Bursary (MCB) is a financial aid program that serves to assist master’s students who have experienced a delay in their program due to unanticipated factors beyond their control, and must therefore register as a full-time student beyond the program length to complete a small or minimal amount of work in order to graduate.
COVID-19 related delays: Students who were registered during or before the Winter 2020 session and whose academic progress has been significantly impeded due to COVID-19 related disruptions may be eligible for an SGS Tuition Fee Exemption. More information is available here: https://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/admissions/graduate-fees/#section_13
Masters students who meet the following criteria may apply:
- experienced unanticipated factors or circumstances beyond their control causing a delay in their program;
- registered beyond the normal program length required for their degree in order to complete a minimal amount of work* (see below);
- registered full-time and charged full-time fees in the final session of their program;
- have been invoiced for additional sessions beyond the minimum degree fee for their program;
- within the time limit for their degree; and
- received little or no funding, stipend or tuition support in their final session of registration.
*a minimal amount of work includes the following:
- Thesis Based Programs: Defense or submission of a student’s final thesis or Major Research Paper/Project (MRP). The thesis is defended and submitted to the ProQuest digital library repository, or MRP submitted to the department.
- Course-Based Programs: Completion of a 0.5 or 1.0 course, project, paper or language exam.
COVID-19 related delays: Students whose academic progress has been significantly impeded due to COVID-19 related disruptions may be eligible for an SGS tuition fee exemption. More information is available here: https://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/admissions/graduate-fees/#section_13
OISE Students: Should first seek bursary assistance through the Office of the Registrar and Student Services (ORSS). Upon recommendation by the OISE Financial Aid and Awards Coordinator, OISE students may be considered for the Master’s Completion Bursary.
- Complete sections 1, 2, and 4 of the Fall 2022 MCB application form.
- Attach a letter of support written and signed by your Supervisor (or Associate Chair) explaining the unanticipated circumstances beyond your control that lead to the delay in progress;
- Compile and attach any other necessary letters or documents (such as a VOI, medical note etc.);
- Submit the completed application and any attachments to your graduate unit administrator to verify, sign and forward to SGS.
Graduate units are asked to submit the completed application with all supporting documentation as a single PDF to email@example.com by the application deadline.
MCB results are communicated via the student’s U of T email address.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When can I apply?
You can only apply once you have completed all your degree requirements, in either the Fall or Winter session. The bursary is not available if you complete your degree requirements during the Summer session.
You should submit an application if you meet all the eligibility requirements.
I finished in the Fall session; when should I apply?
You should submit your completed MCB application within two weeks of your completion date but no later than the published deadline in January for the fall session application.
I finished in the Winter session; when should I apply?
You should submit your completed MCB application within two weeks of your completion date but no later than the published deadline in April for the winter session application.
What is the date of completion?
Date of completion is the date on which all your degree requirements were completed. For a thesis-based program, this is the date on which you submitted your final thesis to the ProQuest digital library repository. For a course-based program, this is the date on which you wrote your final exam/handed in your final paper/project.
How do I find out the required program length of my degree?
Program length is listed in the program requirements section of each degree program in the SGS Calendar.
How do I know if I am within the time limit of my degree?
Program time limit is listed in the program requirements section of each degree program in the SGS Calendar.
What is the amount of the Master’s Completion Bursary?
The value of the bursary is specific to the fees for your particular program.
The bursary is equal to the difference between part -time and full-time tuition for SGS doctoral-stream masters programs charged in the final session of registration.
Students are responsible for other charges and/or service charges that accrue on their outstanding balance.
See a complete list of fees.
How will I know if I’ve been approved?
Students will be notified of the results of their application via their U of T email account within 30 days of the published application deadline.
How will I receive payment?
If approved, the bursary is paid through your ACORN student account within the month following the submission deadline.
Payment is first applied to any outstanding balance; any remaining funds will be refunded to students.
Contacts & Resources
For inquiries regarding the nomination/application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org