Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
- Award Category: Doctoral Awards, In-Course Awards, International Awards
- Student Deadline : December 21, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. EST
- Application Dates : Fall
- Graduate Unit Deadline : n/a
- Value & Duration : Up to $40,000 (+ up to $10,000 allowance) per year for three years
- Level of Study : Doctoral
- Required Legal Status : Domestic / International
Value & Duration
- Up to $40,000 per year for three years to cover tuition and reasonable living expenses;
- Tailored leadership training from Mentors and Fellows;
- Membership in a vibrant community of Scholars, Mentors, and Fellows, all of whom are leaders in their respective disciplines and sectors;
- Opportunities to acquire greater proficiency in Canada’s official languages (French and English) as well as Indigenous languages for up to $5,000 a year;
- Up to $10,000 per year for three years, as a research, networking, and travel allowance related to the Scholar’s doctoral research; and
- Membership in a vibrant community of Scholars, Mentors, and Fellows, all of whom are leaders in their respective disciplines and sectors, and lifelong membership in the Foundation’s alumni network.
This three-year leadership program is designed to train Engaged Leaders, equipping outstanding doctoral candidates with the skills to translate their ideas into action, for the betterment of their communities, Canada, and the world. Scholars are selected each year and receive leadership training in the context of Brave Spaces in addition to generous funding for their studies.
Please review the complete details on eligibility and selection criteria on the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation’s Become a Scholar and Frequently Asked Questions webpages.
At the time of application:
- NEW: Applicants must have been accepted into or be currently registered in the 1st or 2nd year of a full-time doctoral program and expected to complete their doctoral studies in 2025 or later;
- Applicants’ field of study must be broadly related to the humanities or human sciences of direct relevance to the future of Canada*;
- Applicants’ doctoral work must relate to at least one of the Foundation’s four themes; and
- Applicants must be: a) Canadian citizens who are studying at a Canadian or foreign institution, or b) permanent residents of Canada or foreign nationals who are enrolled in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution.
* The Foundation recognizes that many doctoral students are working on research projects that are interdisciplinary and qualify as advanced research in the social sciences and humanities, regardless of their faculty or department affiliation. The Foundation will not assess the eligibility of individuals’ research topics by email or over the phone.
Please review the complete details on the application process on the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation’s Become a Scholar and Frequently Asked Questions webpages.
The 2022 competition opened on October 19, 2021 at 9:00 am.
In order to apply, applicants must complete the following after the competition has opened:
- Register for an account on the Foundation’s application portal;
- Once registration is complete, create an application for the 2022 Scholarship Competition;
- Submit referees’ contact information*;
- Upload transcripts; and
- Complete and submit the application before the deadline.
* The Foundation strongly advises applicants to follow up with their referees to ensure they submit the completed form by December 21, 2021 at 5:00pm EST. Applicants will receive notifications after their referees have submitted their referral forms.
All eligible candidates who submit a completed application by December 21, 2021 at 5:00pm EST will receive a confirmation email. Afterwards, only applicants selected as semi-finalists are notified of the status of their application.
The Foundation will directly invite semi-finalists to participate in group interviews in February 2022. Outstanding semi-finalists will be invited to national interviews which will be held in March 2022 with members of the Application and Nomination Review Committee (ANRC) in March 2022.
The Foundation will officially announce the 2022 Scholars in late May 2022.
Safety Abroad Requirements for Travelling Scholars
The Government of Canada advises against all non-essential travel outside of Canada. Accordingly, the University is also advising all members of its community to avoid all non-essential international travel currently. Please ensure you comply with university travel guidelines and restrictions.
For the most up to date information, refer to the U of T COVID-19 Information for Students webpage.
Contacts & Resources
Further details on program information, application requirements and access to the online application portal on the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation’s Become a Scholar and Frequently Asked Questions webpages.
Technical issues with registration, the online application or the predetermined referral forms must be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional questions may be directed to:
School of Graduate Studies