SGS Emergency Loan
- Award Category: Doctoral Awards, Financial Assistance, In-Course Awards, International Awards, Master's Awards, Prof. Master's Awards
- Student Deadline : Loan applications are processed on an ongoing, continual basis throughout each academic session. Applications need to be submitted to the SGS Graduate Awards Office by 2 pm in order to be evaluated. A decision will be released within two business days upon receipt of the complete application by SGS.
- Application Dates : Fall / Winter / Summer
- Value & Duration : The average loan is approximately $1,000 to $1,500, but may be requested and approved for a larger amount depending on the value of the expected funds, the current outstanding balance on the student's fees account, and any relevant circumstances. The loan amount is charged to your fees account but will remain interest-free until the agreed upon repayment date. The repayment date is normally no more than four months (120 days) from the date of issue. Any outstanding balance on ACORN will prevent students from registering for the fall session, accordingly. Loan repayment dates (due date) will not be dated past Aug 31.
- Level of Study : Doctoral, Master’s, Professional Master’s
- Required Legal Status : Domestic / International
The SGS Emergency Loan alleviates temporary cash flow problems for students who are expecting the release of funds in the near future (i.e., 30 to 120 days) from employment, a major award instalment, OSAP (Ontario Students’ Assistance Program), teaching assistantship, or research assistantship payment, etc.
Students must be registered in the academic session for which the funding is provided and be able to show documentation verifying the expected release of funds and the ability for repayment.
Obtain the SGS Emergency Loan application and complete it electronically and email it to the SGS Financial Aid and Advising Office (OISE students should submit the application to OISE Student Services) along with the documentation verifying the availability of funds expected to repay the loan. The application form serves also as the loan agreement and payment activation form.
Notification of Results
You will be notified of your loan’s status within two business days upon receipt of the completed application by SGS. If approved, the funds will be transferred via ACORN directly to your Canadian bank account within 48 hours of approval. Please ensure the direct deposit information is provided and active on your ACORN account. See how to set up direct deposit on ACORN.