University-Wide Award: Scace Graduate Fellowship
- Award Category: Doctoral Awards, In-Course Awards, International Awards, Master's Awards, University-Wide Awards
- Student Deadline : Date set by graduate unit
- Application Dates : 2022 - 2023 TBA
- Value & Duration : Up to $4,000: one to four recipients annually
- Level of Study : Doctoral, Master’s
- Required Legal Status : Domestic / International
At the time of application, an applicant must:
- Be a citizen of South Africa or the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales)
- Be a domestic or international graduate student
- Be registered full-time
- Demonstrate financial need – through the completion of an SGS Financial Need Assessment form.
- Demonstrate academic merit – have achieved at least A- (or equivalent) in each of the last two completed years of study (full-time equivalent); or if the student has competed two years of graduate studies at the time of application, the student must only demonstrate an overall average of at least A- (or equivalent) on all graduate courses completed
Note: Recipients must maintain full-time registration throughout the academic year immediately following the current competition.
The Scace Graduate Fellowship is one of the endowed awards within the SGS University-Wide Awards competition. Review the full Application Process on the University Wide Awards web page.
A completed application will include all of the following items (no other supporting documentation will be accepted):
- Completed and signed University-Wide Awards application form;
- Original or certified copies of official transcripts from all universities attended in the last two years of full-time studies or if the student has competed two years of graduate studies at the time of application, the student must include transcripts for all graduate studies;
- ACORN print-outs are sufficient for the U of T transcript
- Certification/validation may be performed by the graduate unit. If the graduate unit is not able to certify/validate a transcript, it is each applicant’s responsibility to obtain and provide within their application package an original official transcript that was issued by the appropriate institution
- Grading legends must be provided with every transcript. Copies of unofficial transcripts from other institutions will not be accepted. Transcripts should not be separately mailed to the Graduate Awards Office
- A photocopy of relevant documentation as applicant’s proof of citizenship from South Africa or the United Kingdom (e.g., passport);
- One letter of reference addressing the applicant’s academic merit from an academic supervisor/advisor or a faculty member familiar with the applicant’s academic work (one page maximum); letter must clearly state the referee’s name and contact information; and
- If applying for an award that requires the demonstration of financial need, a completed and signed SGS Financial Need Assessment form must be included.
Donors: Arthur and Susan Scace