University-Wide Award: Lachlan Gilchrist Fellowship Fund
- Award Category: Doctoral Awards, Master's Awards, University-Wide Awards
- Student Deadline : Date set by graduate unit
- Application Dates : 2022 - 2023 TBA
- Value & Duration : Up to $4,000: one to three recipients annually
- Level of Study : Doctoral, Master’s
- Required Legal Status : Domestic / International
At the time of application, an applicant must:
- Be a domestic or international graduate student
- Be registered in a graduate program within the Physical Sciences (Division 3) and will maintain registration throughout the academic year immediately following the current competition.
- Be conducting studies/research focused in the area of fundamental physics.
- Demonstrate academic merit — have achieved at least A- (or equivalent) in each of the last two completed years of study (full-time equivalent); or if the student has competed two years of graduate studies at the time of application, the student must only demonstrate an overall average of at least A- (or equivalent) on all graduate courses completed.
The Lachlan Gilchrist Fellowship Fund is one of the endowed awards within the SGS University-Wide Awards competition. Review the full Application Process on the University Wide Awards web page.
Each applicant must ensure that a complete application package (including their referee’s letter) is provided to their graduate unit by the unit’s specified deadline.
A completed application will include all of the following items (no other supporting documentation will be accepted):
- Completed and signed University-Wide Awards application form.
- Original or certified copies of official transcripts from all universities attended in the last two years of full-time studies or if the student has competed two years of graduate studies at the time of application, the student must include transcripts for all graduate studies.
- ACORN print-outs are sufficient for the U of T transcript.
- Certification/validation may be performed by the graduate unit. If the graduate unit is not able to certify/validate a transcript, it is each applicant’s responsibility to obtain and provide within their application package an original official transcript that was issued by the appropriate institution.
- Grading legends must be provided with every transcript. Copies of unofficial transcripts from other institutions will not be accepted. Transcripts should not be separately mailed to the Graduate Awards Office
- One copy of resumé / CV.
- One-page plan of study/research proposal in non-technical language; the introduction must state how the applicant’s research meets this award’s research criteria; and
- One letter of reference addressing the applicant’s academic merit from an academic supervisor/adviser or a faculty member familiar with the applicant’s academic work (one page maximum); letter must clearly state the referee’s name and contact information.
Donor: Various donors inspired by Professor Lachlan Gilchrist