Exchange & Placement Opportunities

We encourage you to consider international study and its benefits: international research collaboration, conducting research abroad, gaining access to archives, networking for future degrees and projects, completing language proficiency requirements, and more.

You can choose to go on exchange for a session, year, or summer. Depending on your graduate unit, you may be approved to go on exchange for up to three sessions.

U of T Students (Outgoing)


The program is open to degree-seeking students registered with the School of Graduate Studies. Learn more about your eligibility. Students registered in professional faculties (such as MBA, PT/OT, Medicine, Dentistry) should consult their faculty for abroad opportunities. 


Students are responsible for the entire costs of an abroad experience. 


Universities designated "open to all students" and "open to St. George Arts & Science, UTM, UTSC & SGS" are available to you. Visit the Centre for International Experience for details.

Advice on Selecting a Destination

It is unlikely that many of the partner institutions will match your interests or research area, so it is important to discuss this decision with your supervisor or graduate unit. Often, U of T professors will have colleagues at a partner institution and this can be a great advantage to your coursework or research.

Course Pre-authorization Prior to an Opportunity Abroad

Graduate course(s) and language proficiency requirements for exchange program participants must be approved in advance by the student's supervisor (if applicable) and home graduate unit. Submit the Course Pre-authorization form to your home graduate unit. If your course(s) and/or language requirements are approved, SGS will notify the Centre for International Experience who will process your graduate exchange application. 

Transfer Credit

Graduate students participating in an approved exchange program on the recommendation of their graduate unit, and approval by SGS, may receive transfer credit for up to 50% of the course requirements for their degree. You may even be able to satisfy your language requirements. Approval of transfer credits and exemptions must be recommended by your graduate unit and authorised by SGS. It is your responsibility to discuss credit for coursework and language proficiency requirements with your supervisor (if applicable) and graduate unit, prior to applying for an opportunity abroad.

Be aware that it is not the grading scale at the host institution that determines transfer credit but the grading scale at U of T. A minimum grade equivalent to the U of T grade of “B-” must be obtained at your Host University in order for a course to be considered for graduate credit transfer.

For students studying in Europe, note that 6 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits is equivalent to 0.5 FCEs. SGS makes the decision on how to apply the ECTS transfer credit system and other foreign grading scales to the U of T system. 

For more information, review the Transfer Credit Handbook, a reference for graduate students on exchange.

Special Considerations: Coursework vs. Research

Depending on your degree, you may choose to go abroad during the coursework portion of your degree or while you are engaged in the research/writing of your thesis or dissertation. Both periods are acceptable for study abroad, but in either case your plan must be approved by your supervisor (if applicable) and graduate unit.

Language Study

Many graduate degrees have a language proficiency requirement that may be achieved through a summer abroad experience. Currently, the Centre for International Experience offers options to study German, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, and Norwegian during the summer months. The advantage for you as a graduate student is that no additional U of T tuition or incidental fees are required, since your registration lasts through the summer already.

Graduate Funding Packages

During most programs abroad you will remain registered as a U of T student. This means that much of your graduate funding package will also remain intact—with the obvious exception of teaching assistantships. For more information about this, discuss your situation with your graduate unit.


Graduate students must be approved by their graduate unit, supervisor (if applicable), and the School of Graduate Studies before applying for studies abroad. Include the Graduate Student Authorization (Word) form with your application to the Centre for International Experience. 

Graduate students must also complete the Course Pre-authorization form, which will be sent directly by your home graduate unit to the School of Graduate Studies. If your course(s) and/or language requirements are approved, SGS will notify the Centre for International Experience who will process your graduate exchange application.


Intrigued by the exchange opportunities available to you? It is time to start thinking about applying.


For questions related to going abroad, contact the Centre for International Experience at If you have degree program questions, contact your graduate unit.

Joint Educational Placement Students

What is a Joint Educational Placement?

A Joint Educational Placement (JEP) is not technically an exchange program. It is an opportunity for individual students to pursue their doctoral degree program under the joint supervision of faculty from U of T and a collaborating Canadian or international university.

It requires two main ingredients: (1) an existing or emerging collaboration between a supervisor at the University of Toronto and a faculty member at another institution and (2) a full-time doctoral student whose research interests are shared with the two supervisors. 

If successful, the student will be awarded a single doctoral degree from the lead institution. The University of Toronto will issue a parchment and transcript indicating that the degree has been "awarded as a single degree under a Joint Placement arrangement with (the other institution)." This other institution may also issue a parchment.

Learn More about the JEP Program

Prospective Visiting Students

Degree-Seeking Student

If you are thinking about earning your graduate degree at U of T, explore all the different options that U of T has to offer by visiting the Programs web page. Application for admission to any U of T graduate program is made via the Online Admissions Application. 

Non-Degree Special Student

Special students are individuals who elect to take coursework and are not registered in a program of study which leads to a degree. All special students must be enrolled in at least one graduate course; some may be enrolled in both undergraduate and graduate courses. Students who are changing disciplines or require preparatory work may apply as full-time special students. If you are interested in taking one or two graduate courses not for degree credit, you may apply as a part-time special student. For more information please refer to admission requirements and the admissions process

Visiting Student (Research Only)

For international graduate students seeking to conduct research at U of T for up to three sessions, the Internnational Visiting Graduate Student (IVGS) Study Abroad Agreement facilitates visits by international graduate students who do not fall under an approved exchange program to participate in short-term research activities at U of T. 

Incoming Exchange Student

If you are from one of U of T's partner institutions and are interested in studying at U of T as an exchange student, visit the Centre for International Experience for information about coming to U of T as an incoming exchange student.