FAQs for Faculty, Chairs & Administrators

Initiating a JEP

1. A student has asked me to initiate a Joint Educational Placement (JEP) Agreement. What do I do?

If you are a supervisor: Consult your Chair regarding the feasibility of initiating a Joint Educational Placement Agreement (PDF). If it is feasible, provide evidence to your Chair of an existing or emerging research collaboration at the other institution. Once the Chair has accepted this evidence of collaboration, complete the remaining “Supervisor” steps in the JEP Checklist (PDF).

If you are a Chair: Check to see if a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) exists between U of T and the collaborator institution and/or between the U of T Division/Unit and a Division/Unit at the collaborator institution. While an MOU is not required, it may detail special supports in place for JEPs. Complete the remaining steps for Chairs in the JEP Checklist .

If you are a Department Administrator: Direct the student to the student FAQs and to the Manager, Recruitment and Admissions at the School of Graduate Studies for further information.

2. How do I approach my colleagues at another institution to initiate a Joint Educational Placement?

If you have an existing collaborative relationship there, your colleague will need to confirm with the local Chair or Designate that the research program in question can be supported and that there are resources (such as funding, office space, equipment, supplies, and so on) available to support a JEP student.

Before proceeding with the Agreement, your own Chair will need to confirm that any potential supervisor at the other institution is a member of its graduate faculty (or equivalent) and can be appointed in accordance with the graduate faculty membership guidelines and procedures of U of T as a member of the School of Graduate Studies. See the JEP Checklist for details.

3. Can I initiate discussions about Joint Educational Placements with the department of another institution?

Yes. You may initiate JEP discussions provided that you have an existing or emerging collaborative relationship there and you have confirmed with your Chair that the other institution is a recognized collaborator institution.


4. Does my role as a supervisor change during the Joint Educational Placement?

Not significantly. You and the supervisor at the other institution will be co-supervisors. You will meet regularly with the student, provide timely feedback on the student’s research, and establish regular supervisory committee meetings to monitor and track the student’s progress.

The JEP Agreement details your role.

5. Do my responsibilities as a supervisor during the Final Oral Examination change if my student is completing a Joint Educational Placement?

Not if the University of Toronto has been designated as the lead institution. In that case, all U of T policies and regulations for Final Oral Examinations govern the defence, regardless of where the defence takes place.

Transcript & Parchment

6. Upon graduation, does the JEP student receive one or two parchments?

If successful, the JEP student will be awarded a single degree from the lead institution. University of Toronto will issue a parchment and transcript regardless it is a lead or collaborator institution. The student should verify with the other institution about whether a separate transcript and parchment will be issued.

7. What will the U of T parchment and transcript say?

The parchment and transcript will include the following statement “awarded as a single degree under a Joint Placement arrangement with (the other institution).”


8. I still have questions. Who can help?

  • If you are a potential supervisor: Consult with your Department Chair.
  • If you are a Chair: Consult the Vice-Dean, Graduate in your faculty or the Vice-Dean, Programs at the School of Graduate Studies.
  • If you are a Vice-Dean, Graduate: Consult the Vice-Dean, Programs at the School of Graduate Studies.

Back to Joint Educational Placement