SGS Research Travel Grant
- Award Category: Doctoral Awards, Financial Assistance, In-Course Awards, International Awards, Travel & Conference Awards
- Application Dates : Winter
- Value & Duration : Value dependent on destination and duration of travel
- Level of Study : Doctoral
- Required Legal Status : Domestic / International
- Results : All applicants will receive an email with their result via their U of T email address at the end of May.
The SGS Research Travel Grant provides modest financial support to eligible students who are registered in the Humanities or Social Sciences, in order to pursue research travel that is necessary for the final stages of their PhD or SJD program.
This grant aims to provide successful applicants with supplemental funding as applicants are expected to seek support from various other sources in order to support their proposed travel expenses.
Funding for this competition is supported by the School of Graduate Studies Travel Grant, the Faculty of Arts and Science, the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE), The Associates of the University of Toronto Travel Award, and The Edward W. Nuffield Graduate Travel Fellowship.
Preference will be given to first time applicants in the latter stages of their program (i.e. have achieved candidacy) and planning to conduct research abroad that is necessary for the completion of their thesis. Student may only apply to fund one return trip per application cycle and may not receive funding for the same trip twice. The following students are ineligible for funding through this program: i) first year students; ii) flexible-time PhD students; or iii) students travelling for conferences, exchange programs/courses or seminars.
Applicants must be:
- Registered full-time in a PhD or SJD program within the Humanities (Division 1) or Social Sciences (Division 2) when:
- Submitting the application;
- Conducting their research travel;
- Requesting payment of grant;
- Planning to conduct research abroad that is necessary for the completion of their thesis;
- Departing on or after January 1, 2019 and returning on or before April 30, 2020;
- Expecting to take a single trip where the duration is no fewer than 7 days and no more than 12 months; and
- For all students travelling outside of Canada (including to the U.S.A.): Compliant with all applicable departmental and U of T Safety Abroad procedures, including an in-person workshop, prior to departure (see “Safety Abroad” below).
Automatic forfeiture of an SGS Research Travel Grant will occur if recipient does not meet all of the eligibility and payment collection requirements.
This grant aims to provide successful applicants with supplemental funding as applicants are expected to seek support from various other sources in order to support their proposed travel.
Amounts offered vary and are calculated using the following information:
- Travel destination;
- Duration of travel;
- SGS Research Travel Grants previously received; and
- Number of eligible applicants within the competition.
The online application will be available between Monday, February 11 and March 4 at 10:00 am.
- Both the applicant and the supervisor/adviser will be required to use their UTORid and password for the application process;
- The application will time out after two hours but can be saved in draft form after saving the second page; and
- The application cannot be modified after submission. If an error is discovered once it has been submitted, a new application must be created to replace the original application. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to inform SGS of the second corrected application.
Applicants are encouraged to:
- Notify their supervisor/adviser that they will be submitting an SGS Research Travel Grant application which will require their approval and advise them of the deadline;
- Confirm their supervisor/adviser’s correct email address to ensure the supervisor/adviser section of the application is sent to the correct email address for completion; and
- Be mindful of the deadline date to ensure their supervisor/adviser to complete their portion on time.
For the purposes of this competition, the supervisor/adviser identified on the application must be a faculty member who currently holds graduate faculty membership at U of T and is familiar with the applicant’s current progress within their program.
Step 1: Student Application
Be sure you meet all eligibility criteria before filling out the application form.
Click on the “Online Application Form” button. Sign in using your UTORid.
You will be brought to a “Dashboard” page. Using the left-hand side menu, click on “Forms,” then “Form Library,” and under the Award Forms section “SGS Research Travel Grant Application.”
Complete all pages, review and hit the “Submit” button at the bottom of the last page.
You will be asked to provide the following information:
- Supervisor/adviser’s email address (for the approval process);
- Details of the travel (e.g., destinations, duration of travel);
- Proposed budget for the travel;
- Purpose of the research (1,500 characters max).
Step 2: Supervisor Portion
Once submitted, the identified supervisor/adviser will:
- Receive a web link (via the email address entered by the applicant) that must be used in order to review and approve the application;
- Be asked to review the application and confirm that the applicant is in good academic standing and that the proposed travel is appropriate at the current stage of the applicant’s program.
Step 3: Confirmation Email
Once the supervisor/adviser has submitted their portion, the system will send a confirmation email to both the applicant and the supervisor within 24 hours.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the details of their supervisor portion within the confirmation email.
Technical difficulties with the application must be reported immediately to email@example.com.
ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
Safety Abroad procedures are mandatory for all U of T students travelling outside of Canada, including to the U.S.A., and must be completed before the travel occurs (regardless of receiving SGS Research Travel Grant support).
All of the following steps must be completed prior to departure:
- Check out the Safety Abroad website for details on what you are required to complete prior to travel.
- Sign on to the Safety Abroad Registry and complete a profile, including emergency contact and passport and travel health insurance information.
- Complete the online Safety Abroad Workshop (valid for 1.5 years) — certain workshops are only offered once a month so be sure to plan accordingly in order to attend before travelling.
- Obtain supplementary health insurance (if not already covered).
For travel to a region designated by Global Affairs Canada as “Avoid Non-Essential Travel” or “Avoid All Travel” students must contact the Safety Abroad Office at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to request special approval for the trip.
Please contact the Safety Abroad Office at email@example.com for further information.
Award Holder Information
Changing Destination and/or Duration
Successful applicants may request changes to their proposed travel plans, provided that their supervisor/adviser approves and the travel occurs within the appropriate competition time frame, i.e., any changes to travel dates must still conform to the April 30th deadline mentioned above. Requests after this deadline will not be considered. If your revised travel will occur after April 30th of the following year, please cancel your grant and reapply to the following year’s SGS Research Travel Grant competition.
Please note that once offers have been distributed, the value of the offer cannot be increased. However, it may be subject to a reduction due to changes to the destination(s) and/or duration of travel. A completed Change Request form must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to travel for pre-approval or uploaded to the online Payment Activation Form with the other required documentation (please see Payment Activation section below).
To receive payment, awardees must submit the following required documents within 30 days of returning from their trip and no later than April 30, the year following the offer. Requests after this deadline will not be considered.
- A completed online SGS Research Travel Grant Payment Activation Form (access Payment Activation Instructions below).
- Awardees will be expected to confirm on this form that all Safety Abroad requirements were completed prior to travel outside of Canada. Research travel conducted without completing all Safety Abroad requirements will cause automatic forfeiture of the SGS Research Travel Grant.
- Proof of transportation to and from destination(s) (e.g., copy of flight receipt showing itinerary and boarding passes for both departure and return to Canada, copy of bus itinerary, or gas receipts).
- Proof of accommodation(s) (e.g., copy of rental agreement showing dates of stay, copy of hotel or AirBnB receipt, or confirmation from accommodation host with address and start and end dates of stay).
- A completed Final Report Form with supervisor signature.
Full or partial payment may be obtained in advance of the trip, depending on materials submitted. Failure to submit the required documentation by the above deadline will result in cancellation of the Grant. Arrears (from the previous academic year) must be fully cleared in order for the grant payment to be processed.
Payment Activation Instructions
Students awarded an SGS Research Travel Grant must complete and submit the online SGS Conference / Research Travel Grant Payment Activation Form in order to accept and activate their payment. Supporting documentation must be uploaded to the form before it is submitted. Once submitted, the form and documentation will be reviewed within two to three weeks. If further documentation is required, the recipient will be contacted through their U of T email address. Once all required documentation has been submitted to SGS, the payment will be processed through the recipient’s ACORN account.
Step 1. Access the SGS e-Forms website
SGS e-Forms website: https://apps.sgs.utoronto.ca
Click “Login to SGS Portal”.
Select “University of Toronto weblogin”. Recipients must log on using their UTORid and password.
Step 2. Start a New Form
On the “My Forms” homepage, click the green button that reads “Start a New Form”. Scroll down to the “Award forms” section. Select “SGS Conference / Research Travel Grant – Payment Activation Form.”
Step 3. Begin Form
The top portion of the “Award Holder Information” section will be pre-populated with information from ACORN.
- The system will time out after 2 hours
- Past page 2, the form will be saved and may be returned to at a later date through the “My Forms” link on the left-hand side menu
- Commas and periods cannot be entered into the “Value of Approved Grant” field
- Change of Dates/Location Request Form
If applicable, recipients may request to change their travel dates and/or location from the one they initially proposed in their application.
If the travel dates and/or location of the proposed research travel has changed, a Conference/Research Travel Grant Change Request Form must be completed and uploaded in the “Award Holder Information” section.
Note: SGS Research Travel Grant offers cannot be increased and may be subject to a reduction, as per the revised travel dates and/or location.
- Correctly identify which grant is being activated! The SGS Research Travel Grant does not provide conference funding
After selecting the correct grant, information and questions specific to the SGS Research Travel Grant will appear.
Step 4. Supporting Documentation
The following supporting documentation will need to be uploaded to the online form in the appropriate sections.
Each document must be saved as a PDF and cannot exceed 4 MB.
- Proof of transportation
Acceptable examples of this type of proof are listed in the “Payment Activation” section above. This proof must be uploaded in the “Supporting Documentation” section.
- Proof of accommodation
Acceptable examples of this type of proof are listed “Payment Activation” section above. This proof must be uploaded in the “Supporting Documentation” section.
- Report detailing the research completed
After returning from a research trip abroad, a report must be submitted. The report form is in “Payment Activation” section above. This report must be uploaded in the “Supporting Documentation” section.
Once the documents have been uploaded and the form has been completed:
- Review the “Signature” section
- Select the “I confirm the above” check box
- Click “Next”
Step 5. Final Review
The completed version of the form and uploaded documents will be visible for a final review before submission.
Note: At this point, the online form has not yet been submitted to SGS.
If a change needs to be made, click the “Previous” button at the bottom left side of the page.
If no changes need to be made, click the “Submit” button on the bottom right side of the page.
- The form cannot be modified after it has been submitted
- If an error is discovered after submission:
- “Clone” the submitted form on the “My Forms” homepage
- Edit the information, make a final review, and then click “Submit”
- Email email@example.com to inform SGS of the second corrected form
Step 6. Confirmation of Submission
After clicking “Submit,” a “Submission Confirmation” page will appear with a confirmation number. Note this confirmation number for your records.
An email confirmation will be sent to the recipient’s U of T email address from firstname.lastname@example.org, titled “Submitted: SGS Conference / Research Travel Grant Payment Activation Form.” Note: the confirmation number will not be specified in the email.
The submitted payment activation form can still be reviewed online by selecting the “My Forms” homepage on the left-hand side menu. A form with the status of “Submitted” in orange font indicates that the form has been successfully submitted to SGS for processing.
Step 7. Processing and Payment
Please allow two to three weeks for processing and payment distribution.
If the appropriate types of required documentation were not all uploaded to the submitted form, the recipient will be contacted via their U of T email address. This will result in a processing delay.
For payment distribution, students are strongly encouraged to set up direct deposit on ACORN to ensure that their payment is received quickly and avoid the risk of the cheque being lost in the mail. Cheques can take an additional 2 to 3 weeks to arrive.
To set up direct deposit:
- Go to section “Finances/Direct Deposit”
- Follow the instructions listed
To “add new” mailing address:
- Go to section “Update address and contact information”
- Follow the instructions listed
Attaching additional documents or Final Report Form
Steps 1 to 4 below should be followed if partial payment has already been submitted, and now the remainder of the grant is being requested.
Step 1. Follow step 1 as per above (Access the SGS e-Forms website) Step 2. “Clone” the originally submitted form
On the “My Forms” homepage, locate your initially Submitted SGS Conference / Research Travel Grant Payment Activation Form and “Clone” the form
Step 2. “Clone” the originally submitted form
On the “My Forms” home page, locate your initially Submitted SGS Conference / Research Travel Grant Payment Activation Form and “Clone” the form
Step 3. Attach new Supporting Documentation to cloned form
Edit the information on the cloned form by attaching new proof of transportation and/or proof of accommodation if applicable, and attaching Report detailing research completed during the trip.
Step 4. Follow steps 5 to 7 as per above
(Final Review, Confirmation of Submission, and Processing and Payment)
Contacts & Resources
Inquiries about this competition can be directed to:
Graduate Awards Officer, Federal
School of Graduate Studies