One-on-one consultations are available for graduate students who seek individualized assistance with their writing. In these sessions, trained instructors work with you to improve your capacity to plan, write, and revise your academic assignments. Instructors do not edit for you; they teach you to revise and edit your own work.
Please note: The following departments/Faculties offer their own writing support through one-on-one consultations: Architecture, OISE, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physical Education, Public Health (PhD students) and Social Work.
Students in those Faculties are not eligible to use this writing centre and should consult the writing centres in their own departments.
GCAC writing consultations must be reserved using our online system. When you book an appointment, you will be prompted to enter your UTORid and password. (If you have questions about UTORid, please visit UTORid Management.) By logging on to the system, appointments may be both booked and cancelled; you may also put your name on a waiting list for an appointment if none is available. Should an appointment become available, all students on the waiting list will receive a notification, and the appointment is available for booking on a first-come, first-served basis.
Appointments are usually released for booking two or three weeks in advance of the appointment dates. When you log into the system, you will only see the available appointments for the next two or three weeks. If you experience any technical difficulties with the system, please email us at
There are a limited number of one-on-one consultations available, and the demand for appointments is high. In order to make the best use of this limited resource, we have strict attendance and cancellation policies.
- You may carry two appointments at any given time, but you may not book two within the same calendar week.
- You are limited to four appointments the Fall 2020 term (August 31 – December 22)
- If you can no longer attend the appointment you must cancel at least 48 hours in advance of the appointment. Failure to cancel 24 hours in advance will result in 1 point penalty applied to your record at the writing centre. Failure to cancel 48 hours in advance will result in 0.5 point penalty applied to your record at the writing centre.
- If you do not cancel a synchronous online appointment and do not attend the appointment online or by phone, you will incur a 1 point penalty.
- If you do not cancel an asynchronous eTutoring appointment and do not upload your document by the starting time of your booked appointment slot, you will incur a 1 point penalty.
- If you are more than ten minutes late, your appointment will be treated as missed and you will incur a 1 point penalty.
- Penalties will be cleared at the end of the academic year i.e. April 30, 2021 by 5:00 p.m.
Once you have accumulated 2 penalty points you will be locked out from the writing centre booking system, and you will be notified via email. Also, any future appointments that were previously booked will be cancelled.
The GCAC Writing Centre is not a proofreading service. Our mandate is to teach students to improve their own writing and speaking. In our courses, workshops, and consulting appointments, students are taught to identify and address the problems in their writing. While we recognize that this process takes much longer than a quick copy edit, we also know that students are not well served by becoming dependent on our writing skills instead of developing their own.