Graduate Centre for Academic Communication
GCAC Courses: The September 2023 course schedule will be posted on our current term’s courses page in late August.
GCAC Workshops: The Summer 2023 workshop schedule is posted on our workshop page. Please visit our workshop page for details on how to register.
GCAC Writing Centre: We are offering mainly synchronous online appointments with a limited number of in-person appointments. Please visit our Writing Centre page for details on how to book an appointment.
Join our listserv to receive weekly updates on upcoming workshops and course registration
Welcome to the Graduate Centre for Academic Communication (GCAC). GCAC provides graduate students with advanced training in academic writing and speaking.
We are now located on the first floor of the McMurrich Building (12 Queen’s Park Crescent West). For general inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate students need to be able to communicate sophisticated information to sophisticated audiences. As you prepare to attend your first conference, to write your first proposal, or to publish your first paper, you will need stronger communication skills than those needed in undergraduate work. By emphasizing professional development rather than remediation, GCAC can help you cultivate the ability to diagnose and address the weaknesses in your oral and written work.
GCAC offers five types of support designed to target the needs of both native and non-native speakers of English: non-credit courses, single-session workshops, individual writing consultations, writing intensives, and a list of additional resources for academic writing and speaking.
All of our programs are free. Writing Centre consultations require an appointment, and courses, workshops and writing intensives require registration.
I would like to learn about…
- Current Term’s Courses
- How to Make a Writing Centre Appointment
- How to Join the GCAC Listserv
- Boot Camps and Writing Intensives
- The GCAC Team
- How to Contact Us
- International Visiting Graduate Students (IVGS) and Postdoctoral Fellows are welcome to attend GCAC workshops; however, they are ineligible for GCAC courses and Writing Centre appointments.
- If you need to know the location of a course in which you are registered, please check your registration confirmation email. That email is sent to the address that is listed in your official U of T profile.