Connaught International Scholarship
- Award Category: Admission Awards, Doctoral Awards, International Awards
- Application Dates : Winter
- Value & Duration : $10,000 top-up (renewable for a total of 4-5 years*)
- Level of Study : Doctoral
- Required Legal Status : International
- Results : Early March of each year to graduate units
The Connaught International Scholarship for Doctoral Students is a cost-sharing initiative designed to assist graduate units in recruiting and supporting top international students by providing a top-up scholarship to each recipient, which will be paid in addition to the program’s normal funding package provided by the graduate unit.
Value & Duration
- The scholarship is provided as a $10,000 top-up, in addition to the program’s normal funding package (base amount + tuition and fees), to a combined total of no less than $35,000 annually;
- The graduate unit is responsible for providing recipients with the normal level of program funding, which may consist of various internal and external funding sources, including awards such as a University of Toronto Fellowship (UTF) or departmental endowed award, on-campus employment such as teaching assistantships and/or research assistantships;
- The cost of UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) coverage is in addition to the cost of tuition and incidental fees and should be factored into the program’s funding for Connaught Scholars; and
- The Connaught is renewable on an annual basis in accordance with the program’s normal period of funding (e.g. for a total of 4-5 years) provided the student remains eligible, in good academic standing, and meets the terms and conditions of the award. * A 5th year is available for programs that have a 5-year funding commitment.
- Be international applicants (Citizens and permanent residents of Canada are ineligible);
- Not be currently registered in a degree program at the University of Toronto;
- Have been or will be offered admission to a full-time doctoral program* with a funding commitment beginning September of the upcoming academic year; and
- Have achieved an A- average in each of the last two years of full-time study.
- Must remain eligible, in good academic standing, and meet the terms and conditions of the award;
- Must register and remain registered as a full-time student (a change in status may result in suspension or termination of payments and/or returning funds already received);
- Must maintain an A- average, and be making satisfactory progress toward the completion of their degree as determined by their graduate unit in order to maintain the award;
- Who transition to permanent residency status after receiving the first installment of the award will continue to be eligible for the balance of their renewable scholarship. A change in legal status after receiving the first installment does not affect the awardee’s eligibility to continue holding the award;
- Recipients may concurrently hold other awards at any value, with the exception of Tri-Agency awards of a value over $20,000.
Nominations are made by graduate units in the Winter session based on admission applications that are completed and submitted by or before the graduate units’ admission application deadline. Admission application deadlines are set by U of T’s individual graduate units and can be viewed on the graduate units’ websites.
Applicants interested in being considered for the Connaught International Scholarship for Doctoral Students are encouraged to contact their prospective graduate unit when applying for admission to the University of Toronto.
Contacts & Resources
Please direct all questions about this competition to:
Graduate Awards Officer, Internal
School of Graduate Studies