SGS Admissions Chats
Join staff from the School of Graduate Studies, as well as representatives from across U of T, during upcoming interactive chat sessions. We’ll answer your questions regarding registration, housing, graduate awards, family care, and other graduate-focused programs and services at the University of Toronto.
Please note that these chats are intended to provide campus-wide information. we will not be able to answer program-specific questions about course selection or enrolment. Also, although staff from the Centre for International Experience will participate, they are not licenced immigration advisors, and cannot advise on immigration issues such as study permit applications. See below for information about where to find support for study permit applications.
Upcoming chat sessions
Thursday, June 10, 2021
2:00-3:00 pm ET
Participating offices include: SGS Student Academic Services, Graduate Awards, Housing, Centre for International Experience, Family Care, Student Life, and Graduate Professional Development.
Wednesday, July 7, 2021
10:00-11:00 am ET
Participating offices include: SGS Student Academic Services, Graduate Awards, Housing, Centre for International Experience, and Family Care.
How to participate?
Log in with your JOINid or UTORid.
What is a JOINid?
Shortly after you applied to your graduate program, you should have received an email from email@example.com with your JOINid and instructions for enabling it. If you have not enabled your JOINid, please do so well in advance of the chats.
What is a UTORid?
When you collect your TCard, your JOINid is promoted to a UTORid, giving you greater access to online University of Toronto resources.
Joining the chat
- You can join the chats at http://chat.sgs.utoronto.ca.
- You will be prompted to log in using one of two means. Choose Log in with UTORid / JOINid.
- After logging in, you will see the welcome room. Feel free to ask general questions here, but try to use the topic-specific rooms.
- Click “Rooms” on the upper left-hand side to be taken to a list of themed rooms. Please make sure to ask questions in the appropriate room, as the moderators in each room are specialists in one area only. For all other questions, review our information for new students, visit the GradHub, or check out the links below.
- When you enter a question, there will be a delay until a moderator approves it, and provides an answer. Make sure to scroll to the top of the chat before asking a question, in case it has already been answered.
- At the end of the hour, moderators will stop approving new questions, but the chat text will remain posted for at least 72 hours.
We look forward to chatting with you!
The Centre for International Experience (CIE) provides support and advice for University of Toronto students navigating the Canadian immigration system. Check out their advice on applying for a study permit. If you still have questions, check out their informative videos. The CIE’s immigration team will also be hosting online drop in sessions and booking online appointments.