Government & University Financial Assistance

Canadian Sources

Provincial Student Loan Programs

Students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents may be eligible for financial assistance from their provincial governments. Applications for the Fall session are usually available in late May or early June. It is recommended that you apply for student loans at least 10 weeks prior to the start of the new academic year. Please note that you may only ever hold student loans from one province.

Once you have submitted your online Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) application please be sure to upload the OSAP consent and declaration signature pages and supporting documentation to your OSAP Application.

Getting Your Money

Complete either your Full-Time or Part-Time Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) if required. The Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) is a lifetime student loan agreement, so only needs to be completed once for full-time studies or part-time studies.

Reporting Changes & Updates to Information

If your circumstances or those of your spouse (if applicable) change while you are in school, you must promptly inform Enrolment Services of these changes.

Maintaining the Interest-Free Status on Your Previous Loans

If you decide to take a loan, your OSAP loans will not accrue interest in some situations.

If you’re a full-time student receiving OSAP, your loan will automatically be interest-free for your study period once the university confirms your enrolment.

If you’re not receiving full-time or part-time OSAP but you’re continuing in full-time or part-time studies, you can apply for your previous loans to be interest-free while you’re in school.

If you’re a:

  • full-time student, submit a Continuation of Interest-Free Status Application online or complete and mail the form
  • part-time student, submit a Canada Student Loans Program Confirmation of Enrolment Schedule 2 form

Getting Help

If you have questions about your financial assistance from your provincial government, please contact Enrolment Services and/or the appropriate provincial financial assistance website.  

University of Toronto Advanced Planning for Students (UTAPS)

University of Toronto Advance Planning for Students (UTAPS) is a financial aid program for full-time students who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons (recognized convention refugees) and are eligible for need-based government student assistance or funding from a First Nations band.

U of T will ensure that unmet need is met for students who are assessed by OSAP as requiring maximum assistance and whose assessed need is not fully covered by government aid.

Students receiving funding from another province/territory or a First Nations band are also eligible for consideration and may submit an online UTAPS application.

More information on UTAPS.

U of T Work-Study Program

The U of T Work-Study Program provides opportunities for eligible students to be employed part-time on-campus during the Fall and Winter sessions. The program is open to all full-time and part-time students (at least 2.0 credits over the Fall/Winter terms.

See job listings.

Non-Canadian Sources

US Citizens Government Loans

Financial Aid by Country​ for International Students, Rotman School​