How Funding Works: Professional, Flex-time and Course-based Programs

Kasia Pytlik

Toronto is the best city to gain the practical skills needed to work within a clinical setting.

Kasia Pytlik
Alumna (2012), Master of Social Work
Full Profile  

Students in professional, flex-time and course-based graduate programs typically self-fund their educational expenses through a variety of programs including government student aid programs, loans and lines of credit through their financial institutions, personal savings and employment income. A number of graduate programs may offer need-based grants and merit awards to help offset the cost of tuition.

Government financial aid is available to students in graduate programs and can help pay for tuition, books and equipment, fees, and child care, etc. Eligible students can access financial assistance through programs such as the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) or other provincial and territorial student aid programs.

UTAPS grants and other need-based funding may be available to OSAP and other provincial loan recipients by submitting a financial need application through the Need Navigator.  Students undecided about applying for government student aid, are also encouraged to submit an application through the Need Navigator and may be considered for need-based grants where available, by their program, graduate department or home faculty. More information about UTAPS (The University of Toronto Advanced Planning for Students) is available on University of Toronto Registrar’s website.

Scotia Professional Student Plan (SPSP) and ScotiaLine for Students are available to students registered in select graduate programs. Search a list of approved programs and learn more about a Scotiabank student line of credit on the University of Toronto Registrar’s webpage.

Work Study Program offers part-time, paid on-campus employment to eligible students and provides students with an opportunity to earn money for educational expenses while learning and developing workplace knowledge and skills.

Merit based scholarships and award information, relative to a student’s program can be found on most departmental and faculty websites. The School of Graduate Studies website offers detailed award information, resources and links to other internal and external funding sources. From the SGS website students can access Award Explorer and a searchable award list to refine their search by degree type or legal status in Canada.

As most grants and awards require that the application be submitted to a student’s graduate department, all students are strongly encouraged to inquire directly with their program’s Administrator or Registrar about awards and associated departmental deadlines for which they may be eligible.