Discovery is in Our DNA
Since the University of Toronto was founded in 1827, our dedication to furthering global knowledge has given birth to groundbreaking discoveries and publications in virtually every field. And the School of Graduate Studies has helped foster some of the biggest advancements of our time. Read more.
How We Rank on the World Stage
U of T’s ranking for academic work and research is among the best in the world. We rank #1 in Canada, enabling us to attract the best faculty, students, and postdocs. They know when they come to U of T, doors start to open.
- The 2018 Global Employability University Survey and Ranking placed U of T grads in the top 15.
- The Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2020 measures the institutional excellence of the world’s top 400 universities in research, teaching, and knowledge transfer. It lists U of T as the top university in Canada and 18th globally.
- The National Taiwan University Ranking rates U of T 4th in the world based on scientific paper performance, behind only Harvard and John Hopkins universities.
- The Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s Academic Ranking of World Universities rates U of T first in Canada and 24th in the world this year.
- The U.S. News & World Report places U of T 20th in the world and 1st in Canada in its
Best Global Universities Rankings.
- U of T ranks 1st in Research Infosource’s annual list of the top 50 research universities in Canada.
- The QS World University Rankings ranks U of T 29th in the world. And Toronto is ranked 11th among the world’s best cities for students to live.
Our Esteemed Alumni
From artists to astronauts, crusaders to storytellers, financiers to innovative entrepreneurs, and champions of causes to Olympic champions, U of T has graduated thousands of highly successful people. Meet some of our esteemed alumni and learn how U of T inspired them to make a difference