International and Domestic Opportunities


U of T offers graduate students many opportunities to gain experience outside their home institution. Explore pathways available to current U of T students, prospective students, and visiting students below.

For Current U of T Students

Outgoing Exchange Opportunities (Transfer Credit)

You can receive up to 50% of your course requirements through transfer credit by studying at any institution approved as a U of T Graduate Exchange partner as outlined in the SGS Calendar. Pursue language courses or engage in field-research/graduate research at one of our partner institutions. Visit our Exchange Programs page for more information on outgoing exchanges.


You can complete an international internship through the Centre for International Experience-Administered Students for Development program or through an internship arranged through your program or graduate unit. If eligible, you may gain U of T credit for this work.

International Scholar as Supervisory Committee Member(s)

You can investigate the possibility of inviting an international scholar to serve as a member on your supervisory committee. Talk to your supervisor. Graduate units can arrange for SGS graduate faculty membership privileges to be extended to an international scholar. Be sure to familiarize yourself with both SGS and graduate unit requirements for the composition of supervisory committees.

Conference Grant

If you are a registered, full-time doctoral-stream student in good standing, you can attend a conference or other academic meeting to present your research, with funds from an SGS Conference Grant. Preference will be given to students early in their program who are presenting their research for the first time.

Research Travel Grant

If you are a doctoral student in Division I (Humanities) or Division II (Social Sciences) for whom travel is essential for the completion of research in your program, you can apply for a SGS Research Travel Grant to help fund travel.

Joint Educational Placement Student

A Joint Educational Placement (JEP) is an opportunity for individual students to pursue their doctoral degree program under the joint supervision of faculty from U of T and a collaborating Canadian or international university.

It requires two main ingredients: (1) an existing or emerging collaboration between a supervisor at the University of Toronto and a faculty member at another institution and (2) a full-time doctoral student whose research interests are shared with the two supervisors. 

If successful, the student will be awarded a single doctoral degree from the lead institution. If the University of Toronto is the lead institution, U of T will issue a parchment and transcript indicating that the degree has been "awarded as a single degree under a Joint Placement arrangement with (the other institution)." The student should verify whether the other institution will issue a separate transcript and parchment.

Note: this agreement is different from an exchange program.

Learn More about the JEP Program

For Prospective/Visiting Students

Degree-Seeking Student

If you are thinking about earning your graduate degree at U of T, explore all the different options that U of T has to offer by visiting the Programs page. Application for admission to any U of T graduate program is made via the Online Admissions Application.

Non-degree Special Student

Special students are individuals who elect to take coursework and are not registered in a program of study which leads to a degree. All special students must be enrolled in at least one graduate course; some may be enrolled in both undergraduate and graduate courses. Students who are changing disciplines or require preparatory work may apply as full-time special students. If you are interested in taking one or two graduate courses not for degree credit, you may apply as a part-time special student. More information on admission requirements and the admissions process.

International Visiting Graduate Student (IVGS) Study Abroad Agreement

For international graduate students seeking to conduct research at U of T for up to three sessions, the International Visiting Graduate Student (IVGS) Study Abroad Agreement facilitates visits by international graduate students who do not fall under an approved exchange program to participate in short-term research activities at U of T. Learn more about the IVGS program.​

Incoming Exchange Student

If you are from one of U of T's partner institutions and are interested in studying at U of T as an exchange student, visit the Centre for International Experience for information about coming to U of T as an incoming exchange student.